Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Any Fellow Comic Book and Manga Readers Here?

Hybrid View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin SuperRedPanda's Avatar

Any Fellow Comic Book and Manga Readers Here?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. I'm still a newbie haha.

I'm sure that we all read books of some description; it tends to be part of being a writer. But do any of you read comic books and/or manga? If so then what are you currently reading?
    Also, I'm curious to know if you take any sort of inspiration from them

Protecter of the Garden Greene_Hesperide1990's Avatar
    Hey! Yeah I used to read a bunch of manga and comics but now I do so sparsely. The two manga I'm reading now are Attack on Titan and One Punch Man.

The last comic book I read was Wicked and Divine which I absolutely love. It helped serve as mild inspiration when writing one story only in concerns with the celebrity basis behind being a god.
    Titans Among Us - YA Speculative Fiction - Draft # 8
    Magick - YA Contemporary Fantasy - Draft #4

It's awesome to come across another AoT and OPM fan The book/series I'm currently working on has a few things inspired by AoT.

I read/watched a ton in the 90's-00's, but once I had my kids, I really cut back on my watching/reading. The erratic release schedule didn't help any, either.

I just ordered the last two Genbu Kaiden volumes to see how that concludes. I started reading that about 15 years ago, but when the releases went dormant, I fell off the wagon.

I also enjoyed Bride of the Water God (Korean manhwa) while it lasted, but it also went dormant for a while, and I fell off. It didn't help that the plot wasn't as tight as it could have been, and I didn't feel like I was making any progress in the storyline. I need to pick up some back volumes of that.

I really liked Genju no Seiza. (14 volumes total, but the 8th volume was the last one released, and it came out in 2010.) Very sorry that one was dropped.

I'm very fond of the Junni Kokki novels. I think there's... eight? of them. But only four have been released, and the last one came out in 2010.

So, that's a bit frustrating. It doesn't happen all the time--- but it happens frequently enough that I get nervous about spending $10/volume x half the series... and then the rest never gets released. And then I have an orphaned series taking up precious shelf space.

I've never actually heard of the series' you mentioned, lonestarlibrarian. I shall have to look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRedPanda View Post
    I've never actually heard of the series' you mentioned, lonestarlibrarian. I shall have to look them up.
    Genbu Kaiden was one of the Fushigi Yugi prequels. It deals with the Genbu no Miko going through her own set of adventures in the Universe of the Four Gods.

Genju no Seiza was by the same mangaka who did Petshop of Horrors. I really enjoyed both of the PoH series as well. GnS deals with a guy who has been identified as the reincarnation of the Holy King of a mysterious kingdom... except there's already a Holy King who's been set in place. It's a fun series.

Junni Kokki was animated as Twelve Kingdoms. I really enjoyed the worldbuilding in the books. The basic premise is that there are 12 kingdoms, and each kingdom has a sacred creature called a kirin. The kirin's job is to identify the next ruler of the kingdom, and upon identification, the king is granted immortality, which lasts as long as he administers according to heaven's decree. If he strays from the path of righteousness, though, both king and kirin will get sick and die, and the kingdom will be overrun by monsters until the next kirin is born and identifies the ruler.

Bride of the Water God deals with a Korean girl who is sacrificed to the water deity in order to end a drought. She expects to die, but is surprised when she wakes up in Korean Mythology-land (which is heavily Chinese). She needs to adapt to a confusing series of events, including the discovery that her new husband is under a curse, and has landed in the midst of a lot of drama she doesn't quite understand what's going on, and she isn't sure who's telling the truth and who is lying, but she knows that it has something to do with the water god's previous wife...

Putting them all down like that--- haha! It's very clear what kind of tropes I have a weakness for.

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    I'm a huge Marvel and Image fangirl for western comics, but I've been reading mostly manga lately going off recommendations from a few folks on Twitter.

Top ones I can recommend:
    Gokushufudou: Way of the House Husband - A legendary yakuza retires to the life of a house husband, trading in hits and gang business for cooking shows and exercise classes. (It had been fan-translated only, but it's officially licensed for release in English and coming soon)

Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon - After a team of adventurers gets wiped in a dungeon and loses one of their own, they're left with no supplies to launch a rescue mission until they decide they'll just have to eat the monsters they kill along the way. (Up to 6 issues in English)

Ojisama to Neko - An old man adopts a cat that's been considered too ugly and too old to be adoptable. (Fan-translation only)
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Love Letters From Robots now on Daily Science Fiction
    Like I Need a Hole in the Head in the Broad Knowledge anthology

Writing: Blog (updated 03/27/18)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad
    Gaming: Twitch (Streaming Mon, Weds, & Thurs @ 7PM EST, Sun @ 3PM EST) | Twitter | Youtube | Discord

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm a huge comic book fan! I love Batman, and I was a really big fan of Ultimate Spider-Man back in the day. I also really like Invincible, Powers, Astro City, Maus, Watchmen, and anything by Chuck Dixon. Gotham Central is pretty awesome too. As for manga, I haven't read too much of it, but I absolutely love Fullmetal Alchemist.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thank you for reminding me of the OnePunchMan manga! Glad to see that I'm not alone. Can you advise me about some new manga? Maybe action, horror, or historical?