Picking up the keys to the house

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a MG fantasy in which the MC and her family move in to an old house in England that they'd just inherited from a distant cousin. I wanted to know - in a situation like this, who would they pick up the keys from?

In the earlier drafts (which I'm now rewriting), the late cousin's solicitor had custody of the keys to the house until the MC's family arrived. Would this be normal procedure? (He'll be appearing in the story anyway, since he has a major role - a sort of secondary antagonist.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The executor of the will would be the most likely person to hold the keys and that could easily be the solicitor. There may also be someone nearby who has a key and goes in to check the house on a weekly basis (as required for insurance cover) so they could get keys from them. If you want it to be the solicitor then make them the executor.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is middle grade fantasy even though it starts in today's reality.

There's no law that states where or from whom they have to pick up the keys, or possibly an envelope containing the keys. Do whatever fits your story requirements. Put them under the third flower pot on the left outside the greenhouse if you wish. Or in a weighted plastic bag in the fountain...

All that matters is they know where to find the keys.

Keep it simple and fun. Good luck:Hug2:

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Owls. Owls deliver the keys with a note that says "Sorry, your Hogwarts application has been denied, but hey, at least you get a house?"

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
The executor of the will would be the most likely person to hold the keys and that could easily be the solicitor. There may also be someone nearby who has a key and goes in to check the house on a weekly basis (as required for insurance cover) so they could get keys from them. If you want it to be the solicitor then make them the executor.

Thanks. The solicitor strikes me as very likely (based on his role in the story) to be the executor, which fits. The only question left (for those better acquainted with legal matters than I am) is whether, when you're a solicitor, you can legally be the executor to your client's will, particularly since the solicitor had persuaded the man who'd made out the will to do so, and name the MC's family as his heirs.

(To explain a bit more about the situation (this is backstory that won't be directly brought up in the book, but I established it in a "just-in-case-it-has-to-come-up" manner - there's an old family in a corner of England with certain unusual responsibilities - though they've been unaware of these for a long time, and the ones they perform are usually done without knowing their full import. The family solicitor *is* aware of these responsibilities and their significance, and determined that they continue. Recently, the family's somehow become thinned out until there was only one member left in England - but he was young and engaged to be married, so it seemed as if there wasn't much to worry about, that he'd probably soon wed and have a few children to continue the family line. The solicitor, however, took the precaution of locating a junior branch of the family in America - descended from a younger son who'd emigrated to the States in the latter half of the 1800's - and having his client write out a "just-in-case" will leaving the family property to the American relatives if he dies without issue. Shortly afterwards, the client dies in an accident, and the solicitor - no doubt feeling thankful that he'd had his late client write out that will - contacts the American relatives, who are the MC's family, informing them of their inheritance....)

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is reasonably common for a solicitor to be executor. Particularly if the the person making the will does not have close relatives, or their only heirs are underage. Being an executor is a pita and a daunting prospect for those who don't like filling out forms and dealing with officialdom. I've had to do it three times.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The answer to your basic question as to whether a solicitor can be his client's Executor, the answer is yes. Why give this final profitable business to another solicitor?

Re your mentioning '... particularly since the solicitor had persuaded...', I assume this is just your phraseology. The giving of advice to a client is perfectly normal, provided such advice/persuasion doesn't stray into the realm of coercion, which could raise issues I presume do not arise in your story.

Thanks. The solicitor strikes me as very likely (based on his role in the story) to be the executor, which fits. The only question left (for those better acquainted with legal matters than I am) is whether, when you're a solicitor, you can legally be the executor to your client's will, particularly since the solicitor had persuaded the man who'd made out the will to do so, and name the MC's family as his heirs.

(To explain a bit more about the situation (this is backstory that won't be directly brought up in the book, but I established it in a "just-in-case-it-has-to-come-up" manner - there's an old family in a corner of England with certain unusual responsibilities - though they've been unaware of these for a long time, and the ones they perform are usually done without knowing their full import. The family solicitor *is* aware of these responsibilities and their significance, and determined that they continue. Recently, the family's somehow become thinned out until there was only one member left in England - but he was young and engaged to be married, so it seemed as if there wasn't much to worry about, that he'd probably soon wed and have a few children to continue the family line. The solicitor, however, took the precaution of locating a junior branch of the family in America - descended from a younger son who'd emigrated to the States in the latter half of the 1800's - and having his client write out a "just-in-case" will leaving the family property to the American relatives if he dies without issue. Shortly afterwards, the client dies in an accident, and the solicitor - no doubt feeling thankful that he'd had his late client write out that will - contacts the American relatives, who are the MC's family, informing them of their inheritance....)

Last edited:

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. (And it indeed wasn't coercion.)

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
My vote would be a solicitor's office, which I think is the most logical.

It was a house purchase, rather than an inheritance situation, but when I acquired my first house that is where I called in to pick up the keys to the property.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to mistrust the solicitor. He 'just happened' to find one remaining twig of the American branch of the family, got his client to rewrite the will, and his client 'just happened' to die shortly afterwards? Thus giving the house and the super-secret position to a bunch of unsuspecting Americans? Who would therefore be easily led by the only person they know in England?

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to mistrust the solicitor. He 'just happened' to find one remaining twig of the American branch of the family, got his client to rewrite the will, and his client 'just happened' to die shortly afterwards? Thus giving the house and the super-secret position to a bunch of unsuspecting Americans? Who would therefore be easily led by the only person they know in England?

The solicitor is a grim, stern sort of fellow, whom you wouldn't want for an enemy, but he doesn't have any malevolent intentions towards the Americans. He'd merely noticed that the English branch of the family was thinning out, and thought it best to seek out the American branch as a "back-up", hoping all the while that his client would soon marry and have children so that he wouldn't need to contact them. I do suspect that there might have been some skullduggery involved in the deaths of the English branch of the family, but it wasn't the solicitor's doing. (It won't get brought up in the book, which focuses on other matters - which do result in the MC and the solicitor being at odds, but not on account of the inheritance - but if it gets to become the first of a series, one of the succeeding books will probably have the MC getting suspicious about the deaths of her distant English cousins, investigate - and find evidence that whoever was behind them might well be coming after her family next....)

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
One other question - connected with this one, so I'm keeping it in this thread. In the book, when the MC and her family come to the solicitor's office to pick up the keys at the start of the story, the solicitor's out (attending to an unexpected emergency - actually to do with the fantasy aspects of the story, but he keeps that secret) and instructed an assistant to give them the keys if he's not there when they arrive.

What is the best term to give to someone working for a solicitor in the UK? Assistant, secretary, or something else?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
One other question - connected with this one, so I'm keeping it in this thread. In the book, when the MC and her family come to the solicitor's office to pick up the keys at the start of the story, the solicitor's out (attending to an unexpected emergency - actually to do with the fantasy aspects of the story, but he keeps that secret) and instructed an assistant to give them the keys if he's not there when they arrive.

What is the best term to give to someone working for a solicitor in the UK? Assistant, secretary, or something else?

Paralegal?

It depends I would think on the size of the the solicitor's company. If it is a smaller business, it might be only him and a receptionist.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it depends on the size of the practice. If he is a partner (as it sounds like) then there could be senior associates who are employed with the hope of graduating to partner, and junior associates who are still in training. He may have one or more trainees he is mentoring. Or, they may just be a secretary/receptionist who answer the phones and makes the coffee.

Last edited:

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't seen the solicitor as having actual partners - it's probably a small enough business that there probably would be just a secretary/receptionist.