Interesting names you've given characters

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In my superhero trilogy, I had Evangeline (Evie) Dark, Apollo Eastman, and Ace Starr in the starring roles. Daniel Truman, where the Truman in his name was symbolic.

But my favorite was Bug, who was also the Lightning Bug as a supe, but had been known as Bug his whole life. He's busy and acts young for his age, totally lovable, but some characters do find him initially annoying. When the MCs meet him, he says that's what he's always been called.

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Some interesting names for people in my current WIP include: Vatz, Don Sier, Imani, Eran, Tinker, Sera, Knox

Some for creatures include: Kurki, Vemosa, Naukri

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP my MC and her siblings are named after puppets. There's Poppy (which sounds like puppet), Vince (who sounds like Ventriloquist) and Spindle.

Crowned in Fireflies

Registered
Reaction score
My last completed MS was a weird space opera set in an era where humans are spread to the stars and don't even remember where they're originally from, so Everyone had weird names.

The name that was the most extra was probably Aryace-Das-Shipuur, though I don't quite remember the spelling at this point.

Some characters were from a caste of peacekeepers covered in exoskeletons, and they tended to have numbers like "four-thirteen" as names, but one of them was just called Scarred One.

I had an idea for a mad lord born of a diseased ship. He would have been called the Grand Fuckler. Maybe I'll make use of him if I ever get it published and get a chance to write a sequel.

katfireblade

Fluffy lurker in shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Weirdo names are kinda my jam. I can't even name a modern day character without researching the meaning of the name, which gives even my characters with ordinary names a secret meaning.

I think one of my favorite sets of names came from a secretly extraordinary farm family: Harold Silver and his girls Kessie-Ann, Delkie, and Maysa-Sue.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
What a fun thread this will be! I'm eager to go back and read others' answers. I used to keep a word doc of names from baby-naming databases: the ones with the name, the origin, the meaning, and the intended gender. Then, I wasn't writing enough, I felt, to keep using it. I got frustrated and I think I may have del--no, I just remembered I still have it in both locations I save writing stuff. The last two works I've been serious about, though, haven't had names from that database used. The names were carefully picked and I still think they're very pretty: Clodagh, Grainne, Noelle, Irina and Nastia are names I've really liked. I'm eager to use the names Grainne and Noelle in a project still, but I have no ideas yet.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I gave the hero the name Nicodemus just because I liked the name. He was supposed to be the protector of his people, but failed. I think at the end of the series he'll become the champion of his people once again. I just randomly looked up the meaning of Nicodemus and found out it meant "victor of the people". How sweet is that? ;)

Ricardo Salepas

Registered
Reaction score
I like names that are different.
Like Kayla, or Kaela - shortened to Kae...and then you've got the full name of a charater...Kae.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
There are two neighboring towns to my community named Bernard and Fillmore.

My WIP has a small town Iowa feel so one of its main characters is named Bernie Fillmore.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Raven Castevets, Lord Gragynhorn. All one name (or rather name and title), from a story I'll never write but still one of my favorites.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
in a story I plan to write the FMC's full name is Loyalty Rim. I think it sounds so cool, like an awesome place name or something. Her best friend's full name is Ringo Gunner. Also cool.

thorbjorn

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has a lot of religious elements, and there are two separate versions of the Christian god, so to alleviate confusion (and also to exemplify my MC's sense of humor), I've had my MC name them. One is essentially the god of the new testament, and the other is the god of the old testament, so they're named Newt and Ollie, respectively.