• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is that ghostwriting?

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I had a discussion with an aspiring writer about another writer, and I don't think she used correctly the term GHOSTWRITER, so I came here for clarifications.

As far as I know, a ghostwriter's name does NOT appear on the book and he/ she has no rights on that book. The rights and the name belong to the one who ordered the book written and paid the ghostwriter.

If the above is true, then the subject of our discussion is NOT a ghostwriter, but a full novelist, as I believe. Still, I came to check with you.

This writer is writing contemporary or historical novels inspired from real people's lives, but they are novels, not biographies, and the characters aren't very known celebrities (e.g. a 20th century translator and minor diplomat certainly isn't a celebrity, even if his name is on some novels at "translated by"). Sometimes are simple people, not celebrities at all. The novels are documented/ researched with personal/ family photos and journals and discussions with the descendants or the people who know the characters' story, but the author's name on the book is the writer's, not the family's who tells the story seed to the writer.

So... is it really ghostwriting or not? In my aspiring writer friend's opinion, since there is a real person behind the character, and a real documentation with journals and photos, it's mere ghostwriting. In my opinion, it isn't, because the writer uses her name, owns the book rights (even if she invites the character's family in the presidium at the launching events), isn't paid by the family and uses her imagination in connecting the dots and building an actual novel from... a life or an ancestry tree.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your friend is not ghostwriting. She's an historical novelist.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, ghostwriting is writing about ghosts. Sorry. :e2paperba Couldn't resist.

No, your friend isn't a ghostwriter.

People hire ghostwriters to create poems, short stories, articles, novels, biographies, speeches, music, and so forth based on suggestions, interviews, or notes from the person eventually credited with the writing. Ghostwriters are paid for their efforts but are seldom named.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I had a discussion with an aspiring writer about another writer, and I don't think she used correctly the term GHOSTWRITER, so I came here for clarifications.

As far as I know, a ghostwriter's name does NOT appear on the book and he/ she has no rights on that book. The rights and the name belong to the one who ordered the book written and paid the ghostwriter.

If the above is true, then the subject of our discussion is NOT a ghostwriter, but a full novelist, as I believe. Still, I came to check with you.

This writer is writing contemporary or historical novels inspired from real people's lives, but they are novels, not biographies, and the characters aren't very known celebrities (e.g. a 20th century translator and minor diplomat certainly isn't a celebrity, even if his name is on some novels at "translated by"). Sometimes are simple people, not celebrities at all. The novels are documented/ researched with personal/ family photos and journals and discussions with the descendants or the people who know the characters' story, but the author's name on the book is the writer's, not the family's who tells the story seed to the writer.

So... is it really ghostwriting or not? In my aspiring writer friend's opinion, since there is a real person behind the character, and a real documentation with journals and photos, it's mere ghostwriting. In my opinion, it isn't, because the writer uses her name, owns the book rights (even if she invites the character's family in the presidium at the launching events), isn't paid by the family and uses her imagination in connecting the dots and building an actual novel from... a life or an ancestry tree.

Sounds to me like it is not ghostwriting. Ghostwriters names can be on the cover of the book, happens at times with celebrity books but much of the time it doesn't happen. The "with" on the cover is the actual writer of the book and sometimes the author who is credited for it doesn't even know what is in the book. There was a famous example about 15 years ago where former New York Yankee David Wells claimed that he was misquoted in his own autobiography.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score

The "aspiring writer" has things very wrong, and had better look up some definitions. The author of the books is an author of historical fiction, regardless of how she conducts her research. Ghostwriting, is, as you stated, paid work on which the actual writer's name does not usually appear.

In historical fiction, it is not unusual to feature "real-life" characters, or documentation concerning them. I, Eliza Hamilton, by Susan Holloway Scott, would be an excellent example of the genre. In fact, look up some of Susan's blog posts where she talks about her Hamilton research, and all the real life artifacts and documents that went into it.

(Like this one: http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-white-silk-dress-for-special-portrait.html)

Susan is a very real, well-known and popular author with Kensington Books, and is in no way a "ghostwriter."

Last edited: