I'm not sure if this post is worthy of celebration, but...

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I gave a side character the same disability as me. I know that's not a huge accomplishment, but I feel really proud of myself. All my life I have struggled with selective mutism. Selective mutism is where you can't talk to people outside of your home. I can easily talk to my family. I just can't talk to strangers, though, but I'm slowly making progress.

Anyways, to the character. I've always wanted to write one with selective mutism, but I was scared I wouldn't represent others with it right. Then I thought, Really? YOU have it. How could you possibly misrepresent your own life experiences? I've also done tons of research out of pure interest.

I know this isn't as great as publishing a book, but I feel really proud of myself.

Thanks for listening.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! You deserve to feel proud of yourself.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This counts! Pushing envelopes and breaking our own barriers is huge.

Lcarver

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever read a book with a character with selective mutism in it. You could be giving a voice (sorry) to an experience that a lot of people probably feel alone in. This is a good thing!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I don't think I've ever read a book with a character with selective mutism in it. You could be giving a voice (sorry) to an experience that a lot of people probably feel alone in. This is a good thing!

Even though the the character is isn't that major, I still feel like people like me could feel less alone.

Thanks for congratulating me everyone.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Representation matters. And you are far more qualified to write it than someone who doesn't. If you want to make it happen, go for it! And yay for you!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I have a niece who I suspect has selective mutism; she has trouble even making eye contact with new people, and ordering in a restaurant is a real trial for her. As a child, she'd barely speak to me, but as she's matured and we've spent more time together, she seems more comfortable around me.

Weirdly, I'm also writing a character with selective mutism traits who's based on my niece, although the condition isn't named (I write medieval-esque epic fantasy). If I feel like I need some guidance about the condition, may I touch base with you?

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score

"A Quiet Kind of Thunder" is a good one. And yay, Second Moon! The more books out there with authors with disability portraying disability, the better!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Congratulations!

I have a niece who I suspect has selective mutism; she has trouble even making eye contact with new people, and ordering in a restaurant is a real trial for her. As a child, she'd barely speak to me, but as she's matured and we've spent more time together, she seems more comfortable around me.

Weirdly, I'm also writing a character with selective mutism traits who's based on my niece, although the condition isn't named (I write medieval-esque epic fantasy). If I feel like I need some guidance about the condition, may I touch base with you?

Of course. Just PM me.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I have selective mutism too. I've always been afraid to write a character with it in fear that they would turn out just like me, so I applaud you for stepping up and doing it.

I also think selective mutism needs so much more awareness than it has (which feels like is next to none), so just by publishing this book you would be doing the world a favor.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have selective mutism too. I've always been afraid to write a character with it in fear that they would turn out just like me, so I applaud you for stepping up and doing it.

I also think selective mutism needs so much more awareness than it has (which feels like is next to none), so just by publishing this book you would be doing the world a favor.

I don't think I could write a main character with selective mutism...at least not yet, but I'm happy for having the guts to make a side character have it.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, yes, any stepping up to give voice to the voiceless (especially when you're a member of the group) is worth celebrating.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's definitely worthy of celebration! :)

I started writing a novel with a character who had faced adversity like what I've gone through, and it was extremely anxiety inducing, so I trashed it.

Sometimes, what doesn't kill you, just makes you bitter. :rant:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a fantastic achievement. It has to be very hard to write such a character, and hard to live with the condition. I hope writing the character was/is therapeutic in addition to your accomplishment. :Thumbs:

Last edited:

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
Putting a piece of you and your life into a story can't be a bad thing, IMO. Too many of us write about things of which we haven't a clue. Congrats on being daring enough to add truth to fiction.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely worth celebrating. You are showing part of yourself for all to behold.

Congratulations, you're brave enough to do it.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Lots of admiration and support from me. I find it the hardest to put in disabilities close to my own. It's... just all hard.

This is 100% something to feel proud of, and it's so great to hear that you do!

Last edited:

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
That is definitely worthy of celebration. It can be so hard to write about something so personal so its really good that you've done it.

jokertk

Registered
Reaction score
It's great to write about matters that few people know about, and I don't think many know about selective mutism. Writers are able to bring awareness, such as autism with Rain Man and mental illness in Silver Linings Playbook. Those with the disorders will like the recognition and the general population will be interested in knowing about other people's differences. At least I'm always interested in knowing different aspects of people. We are not all the same and awareness is needed.

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
It is definitely worthy of celebration. As a person with a disability myself, I use a wheelchair, It can be disheartening. There are so few characters, in either books, movies, or tv shows that have disabilities of any kind. And I've only read a few books actually written by a person with a disability.

I am currently in the process of writing my first book. I have quite a few disabled characters. What I plan on doing, eventually when it is "done" is to find other members of the disabled community to ask for a read. It might be something you'll want to do too.

Anyways, with most disabilities, the way it works out will be different for everyone you ask. So don't worry too much on producing a situation too much like your own. It's your book, after all.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I know it has been a while since I posted this, but I finally got around to writing the book and I realized something my parents have been trying to tell me for years: how much I've grown and how well I'm beating my disability.

I realized this because I wanted my character with selective to start out like I did: not able to talk to people in public, pointing at menu items instead of telling the server, stuff like that.

Now that I think about it, I've grown a lot since the days when I was like my character will. I'm able to go to restaurants all by myself and am able to speak out my order. Yes, I still have a ways to go, but I finally realized how much I've grown. I hope my character can grow, too despite only being a side character without much page time.

Thanks for listening everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it has been a while since I posted this, but I finally got around to writing the book and I realized something my parents have been trying to tell me for years: how much I've grown and how well I'm beating my disability.

I realized this because I wanted my character with selective to start out like I did: not able to talk to people in public, pointing at menu items instead of telling the server, stuff like that.

Now that I think about it, I've grown a lot since the days when I was like my character will. I'm able to go to restaurants all by myself and am able to speak out my order. Yes, I still have a ways to go, but I finally realized how much I've grown. I hope my character can grow, too despite only being a side character without much page time.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

That's wonderful! It can take so long to internalize and feel pride and confidence in our personal growth. I'm so happy for you!