What music, if any, do you listen to when writing?

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
Soundtracks mostly.
Each character has its own tunes and I listen to them before writing. Helps me keep the mood and tone of the narrative consistent. Then I need absolute silence while I write, otherwise I can't ear their voices ;)

Last edited:

Mari

that hillbilly vampire lady
Registered
Reaction score
barefoot in some creek up some dark holler
Website
mariadkins.blog
Currently, the "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky.

Which contains a useful writing maxim: when running out of ideas, add cannons.

ha ha ha ... i was so confused/startled when i first read that first sentence because "odd choice" - then your second sentence. makes perfect sense now! <3

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I've been trying to work through this and thinking about it a lot. I like the idea of setting up a soundtrack or some music for each character, but then I think that the soundtrack would have to be different based on the mood or the what's happening in the chapter. It seems like one of those things where it would be a huge amount of effort to set up and curate and kind of a way to avoid writing.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For me, it has to be music that is NOT relaxing but rather more uptempo and gets me worked up. I find I write better with some passion flowing through me, and I am better able to express my characters' thoughts that way.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
What I listen to when writing depends on what I'm writing and how focused I am that particular day. I have a giant generic "writing" playlist on Spotify filled with instrumental music (mostly movie soundtracks) that I use for scenes where I don't really need tailored background music and for plotting. I also make a Spotify playlist for each WIP filled with songs that fit the mood. WIP-specific playlists tend to have lyrics, so if I feel like I'm going to get distracted and sing along I use the main "writing" playlist instead of the playlist made for whatever I'm working on.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, Bruhville mixes on youtube and anything else EPIC and instrumental. It really get's my creative juices going!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll listen to a song that fits the scene, but often I just put on something ambient and general. Metroid's atmospheric music is particularly good at propelling me along.

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I find I've been listening to cryochamber a lot, they're a "lovecraft inspire" dark ambient music themed.. thing. But they have a live youtube channel that I quite enjoy. A lot of discodance and weird sounds. sometimes they do some narrator talking things, even reciting lovecraft I guess which I don't care for so much.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
I have playlists that I create for particular characters that I use while brainstorming, either songs I like that describe them, or songs they might listen to. These tend to cross genres, languages, and vocals vs. instrumentals.

That said, while writing, I tend to lean more toward instrumentals - either ambient video game tracks (easy to set a mood and then tune out, no distractions) or soundtracks. I tend to visualize things very cinematically, and if I hear a song that fits a particular scene like a movie playing in my head, it can be doubly helpful because it can help me keep a scene trim and flowing smoothly. If I can't read the text and envision the scene in question keeping pace with the music, hitting a climax or ending in time with the song, then I need to consider trimming down some excess words.

CrystalUsagi

Registered
Reaction score
I don't listen to any music when writing nor doing anything productive. It's always distracting. I typically sing a few songs.

The Circle

Registered
Reaction score
Soundtracks mostly.
Each character has its own tunes and I listen to them before writing. Helps me keep the mood and tone of the narrative consistent. Then I need absolute silence while I write, otherwise I can't ear their voices ;)

Yes, this.

Though my book has dark, nihilistic currents so I immerse myself in a lot of Trees of Eternity and the Hammock songs from Far Cry 5.

Beyond that, I have gone ahead and compiled a soundtrack for the book. Lots of songs that capture the mood of scenes and characters. It's useful to hep mentally enter the world and find the muse.

Last edited:

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
I'll listen to just about anything, but Barbarian Horde from the movie Gladiator is my go-to when working on a fight scene.

Edit: Listening to Jerry Reed right now.

Last edited:

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting - I didn't realize this thread got so much attention since I started it. I appreciate seeing all the different options.

Most recently I have added the sounds of blowing blizzards to my background noise when I need something neutral. I try to add in some variety of music so that I don't get sick of hearing the same thing over again. I also find it interesting how when I listen to some of my writing music outside the house that it puts me in a writing mode and I can't wait to get to the keyboard.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
Soundtracks myself. There's a scene near the end of my book that I must have written while listening to the Interstellar soundtrack, because the beats align pretty well with "No Time For Caution." I like the orchestral quality of soundtracks and that you can find a song that fits the mood of a scene.

MasterCole

Registered
Reaction score
I just listen to the Force theme on loop. It’s actually great think music. But I think it depends largely on the person

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
i'm listing to wordless chorus by my moring jacket and undisclosed desires by muse and magic by coldplay

Ethan

Registered
Reaction score
i am more. I must have absolute silence type, of writer. It is amazing that you can have music and write at the same time. having said that I like your taste in music.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
i am more. I must have absolute silence type, of writer. It is amazing that you can have music and write at the same time. having said that I like your taste in music.

With me it depends. There are times when I really need to focus and find a given piece of music distracting. So in those instances I will turn on some type of white noise, like blizzardy winds, or a breeze in a meadow with a trickling stream.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I find music distracting...which is odd, because I do most of my writing on a commuter train, where noise doesn't bother me at all. Indeed, I can get inspired by random overheard comments.

On the odd occasion I am at home, writing, and feel like music - it has to be something I know so well that it can't distract me. My favourite three writing CDs are Benefit (Jethro Tull); Exit Stage Left (Rush) and the Soundtrack from Dead Man (Neil Young).

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

greatdistractions

Registered
Reaction score
usually I don't listen to music while I write, but if the urge hits me I usually go for alt rock. I keep the volume low and only listen to songs I know really well so I'm not too distracted

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Youtube is mixing a custom playlist for me and all it is music from the Soulsbourne games and Nier:Automata. The algorithm is good now.

Last edited: