do i need to acknowledge the illustrator for my book cover

sivart_sf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sivart.eu
hi everyone,

so here is my Problem

I have organised a book cover from a graphic designer on fiverr. His work was good (not cheap) and I want to use him for the second Edition of my book

Question) on Fiverr under the requirements I have Commercial Rights to use the image- does that
mean I have to acknowlege the Illustration in my book or don't worry about it at all?

FYI- the graphic designer users a pseudonym so naturally i can't directly akcnowlege him

Question) it is never really clear on Fiverr if I obtain exclusive Rights for using this Image? do I have to ask for them?

can anyone help me, it would be greatly aprpeciated

thanks

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Always acknowledge the illustrator of your book cover, or any person who helped you make your book happen for that matter. You would like to be acknowledged when someone uses your work as well, wouldn't you?

If you're not sure if you have the exclusive rights on an illustration, ask the illustrator just to be sure.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to acknowledge your cover designer? If so, contact him, let him know you'd like to mention him in the acknowledgements, and if he's okay with that, ask how he'd like his name to appear.

If you don't want to acknowledge him, then don't. There are no hard and fast rules.

sivart_sf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sivart.eu
cheers.

thanks for that. Naturally I would like to acknowledge him but naturally the designer of the book cover might not like that.

I was trying to work out if there was some sort of legal requirement to do so

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
You should always acknowledge the graphic designer. Under pseudonym if this is how he functions, but do acknowledge him. I do acknowledge both the editor's graphician and the photo source (be it a public domain painter or a friend who took a photo I loved and allowed me to use it).

He worked hard for your book's look. If not acknowledged, it might seem you are bragging with a work which isn't yours. (Trying to pass it as yours, if not acknowledged).

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Question) on Fiverr under the requirements I have Commercial Rights to use the image- does that mean I have to acknowlege the Illustration in my book or don't worry about it at all?

I would acknowledge both the designer, and also the copyright holder for any stock photos or art used in your cover. If you drew the illustration yourself, scanned it, and sent it to the cover designer (i.e. you are the copyright holder for the original images), then the illustration is yours to do with as you wish. Otherwise, the copyright belongs to whomever owns it and I would acknowledge it.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I will just point out that virtually everything obtained from fiverr violates someone's copyright. It's a den of thieves. My first step would be to make certain that you actually have the rights to the cover image at all before you worry about acknowledging anyone.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
You don't have exclusive rights to the cover design unless those have been explicitly granted to you. Ask the designer about that as well as asking about the image source(s) and acknowledgments.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I would ask the graphic designer for his permission to post his legal name. If he doesn't want his true name out there then I wouldn't reference him.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I would ask the graphic designer for his permission to post his legal name. If he doesn't want his true name out there then I wouldn't reference him.

Someone's "true name" in business is whatever name they're doing business under. Authors go by different names in business all the time, so it shouldn't be a surprise that artists do the same.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What did your designer tell you when you asked them how they would like to be referenced in your acknowledgements? Yep, like most questions in life, you'll get the proper response by asking the other person involved.

Jeff