IRC chat has moved to Espernet (Starchat RIP) and Discord chat channel is available too

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If I hadn't happened to glance at my Console tab today and see a message about Starchat shutting down on July 16, I wouldn't have known!

The shutting down has been confirmed by Starchat ops, who only just learned about it themselves. No idea what the reasons are.

We shall endeavor to find another suitable server and set up a channel there. Edit: this has been done, see next post down!

We also have a Discord channel: https://discord.gg/ehbHGWC <--this is an invite link, if you don't have a Discord userid then you'll be prompted to create one, it doesn't take long.

If you've already signed up to Discord and want to jump right into chat, go here.

I access Discord daily from a tab in my browser and it's been pretty reliable. Several chatters use the phone app instead. Or jump back and forth depending on what device they're using. Whatever floats your boat.

-Derek

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
We've settled on irc.esper.net and created an #absolutewrite channel there.

For instructions on how to get there via IceChat, Mibbit and Chatzilla, see here:

http://derekpaterson.net/awchat

-Derek

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
So, we're no longer using Discord? Or is it returning to its "back-up" status?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
So, we're no longer using Discord? Or is it returning to its "back-up" status?
Our Discord channel is still there and running fine. Some people prefer it to IRC, some people have never used IRC, and some are signed into both simultaneously. Whichever you prefer.

-Derek

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Posting IRC servers in case anyone ever has trouble getting on (active network /links display as of today)....

portlane.esper.net
anarchy.esper.net
aperture.esper.net
calamity.esper.net
catastrophe.esper.net
ipo.esper.net
irc.esper.net
nova.esper.net
stormlight.esper.net
webchat.esper.net

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Gotta say, Espernet had been performing pretty well so far, no outages and few pings.

For instructions on how to get there via IceChat, Mibbit and Chatzilla, see here:

http://derekpaterson.net/awchat

-Derek

Borad

Banned
Reaction score
I "do not have permission to send messages in this channel" yet I was able to react to a July 15 post about clicking the writing hand. It let me post a lock icon. I'm not registered with Discord, is that it? I tried Chrome and Firefox.

...and Edge

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Hey Borad, I can see (in Discord) you have access to AWChatters group (i.e. you completed sign-up, clicking on the writer's hand) which should allow you to post in absolutewrite-chat channel, and others. I have no idea why you should be seeing that message, thanks for trying it in numerous browsers. You must be registered to Discord if I can see your username in the members list in the right-hand column? I'll nudge others to take a look at this. If you try again sometime and get the same results, say so? direct link to absolute-write channel

-Derek

Borad

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Borad, I can see (in Discord) you have access to AWChatters group (i.e. you completed sign-up, clicking on the writer's hand) which should allow you to post in absolutewrite-chat channel, and others. I have no idea why you should be seeing that message, thanks for trying it in numerous browsers. You must be registered to Discord if I can see your username in the members list in the right-hand column? I'll nudge others to take a look at this. If you try again sometime and get the same results, say so? direct link to absolute-write channel

-Derek

It works now in the two browsers I checked.