Writing Freelance for my Employer Rate Questions

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I've been offered a chance to do some writing for my company. Right now I do customer service but they found out I'm a writer and they need one. Basically I'll be working on a few projects and helping develop their Linked-In along with product descriptions and working on sales pieces. Plus, I'll be helping recruiters with their postings online.

Because I'm hourly with my current job and they can't afford to lose those hours since we're busy, we're going to do this on the side, and they'll give me a 1099.

I have no idea what to charge these people. None. Does anybody have any thoughts?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, your employer may be in trouble for evading employment taxes here. You're already employed, they just pay you hourly for your work, overtime if it's over 40 hours.

Jeff

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Will you be doing a lot of very similar product descriptions? Have you discussed a flat rate, hourly or charging by the word?

In the US, your employer may be in trouble for evading employment taxes here. You're already employed, they just pay you hourly for your work, overtime if it's over 40 hours.

Jeff

There are some concerns but it can work out well for both parties, and can be very lucrative. I've done this in the past at a large company, where I had employment agreement with weekly salary and then invoiced them separately for script coverage and translations etc.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
WeaselFire raises a valid point.

Also, keep in mind that you pay your own unemployment contribution on a 1099.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My guess is this will be shuffled so it comes from another company. I have quickly learned the company I work for is just part of a larger conglomerate of companies.

Having that link really helped. Now I'll have something to negotiate with. What I'll probably do is email my boss that link and then we'll discuss it later on this week. I have a target amount in mind, or did, before I realized how badly I'm going to get taxed. So now I'll have to rethink everything.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is this will be shuffled so it comes from another company. I have quickly learned the company I work for is just part of a larger conglomerate of companies.

Having that link really helped. Now I'll have something to negotiate with. What I'll probably do is email my boss that link and then we'll discuss it later on this week. I have a target amount in mind, or did, before I realized how badly I'm going to get taxed. So now I'll have to rethink everything.

Keep in mind you are only taxed on the profit left over after all your writing-related expenses for the year (incl. computer hardware, software, supplies, books, conferences, workshops/classes etc). It can be helpful to set up separate checking account

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Keep in mind you are only taxed on the profit left over after all your writing-related expenses for the year (incl. computer hardware, software, supplies, books, conferences, workshops/classes etc). It can be helpful to set up separate checking account

Good idea! I was thinking the same thing. And it's time to start saving gas receipts.