Hello From Essex, England.

SuperRedPanda

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there!

My name is Ben, though feel free to call me Panda. Either is okay with me ^^

Seeing as there are, as far as I know, zero writing groups or anything like that in my area, I decided to look up online ones. That's when I came across this site. It seems like a pretty cool place from what I've seen so far.
A couple of weeks ago I finished the first draft of my first full length novel. It's a fantasy story, though some of it is set in the real world, and is the first part of a series. I'm currently taking some time away from the manuscript before I start the whole editing process and I hate it; I just want to be back in the world I created haha.

Aside from writing, some of my other hobbies and interests include: Drawing and art, reading, comic books, anime and manga, video games, pro-wrestling, TV and movies, photography, music.

I've never been very good at introducing myself so I hope this was okay!

See you around!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Panda, that was just fine as an introduction. Now we know a little about you, and isn't that the whole point?

Nice to meet you!

Maryn, almost never first to reply here, because she's old and slow

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Panda! Welcome! I'm Kat. :hi:

This is a great place to hang out. It's cooler than an in-person writing group because it's international. I've gotten to connect with folks in my region of the US, folks who are several states away, and people like you from the UK or elsewhere.

Congratulations on finishing a novel draft! That's a big accomplishment. I know that feeling of wanting to get back into your world very well. To tide you over, why don't you tell us just a little bit about it? :)

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome on board. Best of Luck with the novel. I am in the same boat, having just finished writing the story of a fantasy novel and now starting the editing process.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I second Kat's notion of a welcome and intrigue as to what you've been writing about!

It's delightful being able to delve into a world when you're crafting it, and agonizing at times when you have to pick it apart for editing. I've always had a penchant for getting side tracked with world building, as my very first writing endeavors as a youngin' were roleplay forums, so I understand wanting to dwell in the world you've crafted. Good luck with editing! It can be torture, but it pays off.

SuperRedPanda

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to all of you for the welcome! I'm looking forward to using this site.

As for what my story is about... I'm absolutely terrible at describing it haha. I really should work on a synopsis. It's set in the mid 90s and centres around a girl named Annabelle. She's 15 and lives in a small town in North Yorkshire. Annabelle is a fairly shy and quiet girl and doesn't have much in the way of friends but she's smart, kind, and caring and is much stronger than she knows. After falling asleep in bed one night, she wakes up to see a blue sky above her. She looks up and sees that she is on top of a hill in the countryside; she is in a different world. A kind wizard welcomes her into this world, yet she somehow already knows who this wizard is. After things have been explained to her, Annabelle meets Lauren, a beautiful vampire that is considered one of the best warriors in this world. After exploring some if this world with her two companions, a great and ancient power comes to Annabelle. The wizard believes that she has been chosen to stand against a growing darkness to the north of the world and that's why she has been given these powers. After this, a sinister figure, encased in near unbreakable jet black armour, attacks the town where the protagonists are, killing all that he comes across...
There is a lot more to it but as I said, I suck at explaining it haha.

To be honest it's quite a cliche story in some ways though that doesn't bother me a huge amount as I love writing it. It's a passion project for me. It's been said that you should write a story that you'd want to read. Well, that's what I'm doing :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

Sakura_ASH

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also interested in drawing, anime/manga, and video games. I'm sort of obsessed with RPG games. I'd be interested to know, do you draw your characters? I have my own images of what the look like in my head, but without a lengthy exposition on what they look like, it's hard to convey appearance through words, at least for me. I find that drawing the characters (and ships, worlds, etc) helps me to convey things to others without need for length exposition. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the intersection between drawing and writing fiction and what it means to you (if you see the two as connected).

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
Finishing the first draft of the first novel is a huge step. Congrats. The next step is more tedious than creative and I think that is why a lot of people (including me) don't enjoy it. But without it, none of us will get published. Welcome.