This title has Bananas in It

RobinEustace

Registered
Reaction score
Greeting and salutations,

I'm Rob, I'm from Canada, I'm queer. I write MG books, probably because I have two kids in that age range (8 & 10, respectively). I don't have anything published yet, but I am almost finished an MG Fantasy - it's currently sitting around 6k words and just needs 3 chapters to be finished the first draft.

I also make cartoons, I have a few shorts up and around on the net, and I have a "real job", as a public school EPA. That is, I work in elementary schools with children with special needs (ie: autism, adhd, down syndrome, etc.)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rob! Welcome! I'm Kat. :hi:

Thank you for the work you do in the schools. What precisely is an EPA? Is it a therapy job, a teaching job, an aide job? I should know this; I'm a GenEd teacher . . . or maybe it's a Canadian term and I'm just being a 'Merican about it. :)

Congrats on being a parent AND working AND being so creative! I don't know how you folks do it.

Looking forward to seeing you around. Enjoy your time here!

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Dang Gwen Stefani, but I can't "hear" the word "bananas" without my brain going b-a-n-a-n-a-s.
Anyway, welcome, thanks for the work you do, and good wishes on your book!

RobinEustace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rob! Welcome! I'm Kat. :hi:

Thank you for the work you do in the schools. What precisely is an EPA? Is it a therapy job, a teaching job, an aide job? I should know this; I'm a GenEd teacher . . . or maybe it's a Canadian term and I'm just being a 'Merican about it. :)

It's basically an Aide? Sometimes its just floating in the classroom helping with whoever, whatever needs done. Sometimes assigned to a particular child, sometimes with that child in the classroom and sometimes in the learning centre room. I have my lvl 2 ECE, but my main goal was always to work in public school; I'm not a huge fan of working as a daycare teacher just because there is so much at-home prep for that, and I just don't have the time.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
OK, cool! In the States we'd call you a para, I think. Can I just say, we classroom teachers couldn't do it without you folks?

I hear you about prep! It's a never-ending mountain of work. :e2thud: It's one of the reasons I write, to turn off my teacher brain. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm remembering correctly, my senior quote was "Bananas are the single most radioactive food most people will ever eat." Thanks, isotope potassium-40.

Welcome to the site! I greatly admire all you teaching-oriented folks out there. I don't think I'd be well equipped for the job myself-- three tiny persons at home is already enough to rattle my nerves sometimes. What made you want to get into teaching in the first place?

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

Sakura_ASH

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another new member. I'm always glad to meet other queer writers. I often feature queer relationships in my works, though it makes me nervous to submit such works for critiques or even worse to a publisher.

RobinEustace

Registered
Reaction score
What made you want to get into teaching in the first place?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been writing a lot lately! And so busy with summer things.

I've always worked with kids, ever since I was a kid, I volunteered as a counsellor at a kids camp, and had a ton of experience working with children for as long as I remember. It just seemed like a natural progression, and I don't think I really chose it specifically, it just sort of. Happened?

Working in public school is just like. My normal boring job, until I can make writing work. I have kids as well (two boys, 8yo + 10yo) and I guess I gotta feed them and such, while waiting to become rich and famous through writing? Lol.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but the title of this thread makes me smile every time I see it pop up under New Posts :greenie

:welcome: Robin