Bowker - ISBN

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I applied for an ISBN with Bowker and paid the required fee on line. How should I expect to receive my new ISBN? Will it be emailed or sent snail mail. I gave them both addresses but they did not ask for a preference. I applied last week and haven't heard anything from either channel. How long does it usually take?

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
They should be listed on the website. Log on at myidentifiers.com and go to My Account and Manage ISBNs. It should list all of the ISBN numbers under your account and then you can click on a specific ISBN and fill in your particular book's info. I find it helps to put the book up through IngramSpark first if you're going to do that because then you have the book dimensions to add if you want.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, M.H. Lee, I was successful in signing in as you suggested. I am presented with a page showing 5 headings. I have two quick questions about them: . . . One heading says "Cover Upload". Why would I upload my cover to Bowker? Another heading says "Barcode Buy Barcode". Now that I have spent money buying my ISBN from Bowker, do I now have to go and buy a barcode from them as well? This book is going to be published via KDP (CreateSpace) on Amazon. I have been told by some people that Amazon supplies a bar code. I wonder if you can straighten me out here. Should I buy a bar code from Bowker or will Amazon (KDP) supply me one for free? Thanks so much for your help.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Do not buy a bar code. Amazon will supply one for you when you upload your print cover. (There's a box there that asks if you have one, just make the selection that says you don't.) If you ever publish through IngramSpark you can download their template and that too will come with a bar code you can use.) Bowker is big on finding extra ways to try to take your money. Ignore anything they try to sell you except the ISBN itself.

I uploaded my cover for all of my books on the assumption that there's a listing somewhere that bookstores, etc. can access that would display that cover and either make the listing more recognizable to someone looking for that particular book or more appealing to someone trying to decide whether to order the book or not.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
One reason to buy the ISBN directly from Bowker is that you control that ISBN, not the publisher.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastically helpful feedback. Thanks to all above. Much appreciated.