Hello! I'm new around here

margaret.pearson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, my name is Margaret and I'm new to these forums. I've always loved to write (specifically contemporary or science fiction/thriller), but no one around me has shared a similar interest, so I'm hoping that through this site I can meet some fellow writers! Please leave a reply, I look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone!

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Margaret! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat.

I think you'll find plenty of sci-fi writers here; the speculative boards are hopping. (At least the Show Your Work section is . . . it's like workshopping, but online.)

I write contemporary, but not sci-fi. I like tangling up characters in difficult relationships and making them run hamster wheels trying to untangle themselves. Yes, this is the cynical way of describing it. I throw in bratty children when I'm bored with the angst.

What do you enjoy best about writing sci-fi/thrillers/contemporary?

Looking forward to seeing you around!

margaret.pearson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kat! My current WIP is actually contemporary and I totally agree with you, making my characters run in hamster wheels is definitely what I'm most enjoying. My main cast is a group of five friends (I use that term loosely) and their relationships to one another are woven in all kinds of funky ways.
As for sci-fi/thrillers (that's what I call them because sci-fi doesn't quite seem to fit the bill, similar to what Ray Bradbury and Arthur Clarke wrote), those are fun because, really, there are no rules. If you want a cat to fly to another universe and start an army of martians to attack Earth, you can, goddammit!
Are you working on anything currently? Doing any challenges for July?

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a cat to fly to another universe and start an army of martians to attack Earth, you can, goddammit!
Are you working on anything currently? Doing any challenges for July?

I would so read this! Though that's one determined cat. :) Have you written a similar scenario or was it a fun example?

Just before you got here we did this sitewide thing called the Beta Project, so a bunch of us are critiquing excerpts of each others' work and requesting/swapping beta reads if the spirit moves us. So I'm juggling critiquing others' work with tweaking my completed WIP so it's ready for betas. When I've finished that I'm going to try (again) to write a new WIP set in the traditional fiddling community.

How about you? What do you have simmering?

margaret.pearson

Registered
Reaction score
I would so read this! Though that's one determined cat. :) Have you written a similar scenario or was it a fun example?

Just a fun little example, though my story starter brain is intrigued...

In any case, I'd really like to finish the first draft of my current project. That's the main reason I joined this site. Like I said, I'm a notorious story starter, not so much story finisher. I'm about a third through the first draft.

I'm assuming that this Beta Project is something I can't get involved in now, which stinks. Do you know of any threads I could join where people are in the same place in the process as I am? Or who are still interested in critique partners/betas? I would like to have feedback on maybe just the first chapter, just so I can know what is and isn't working.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes! We have plenty of places.

If you're looking for a critique partner for a whole work, or longterm, we have this forum.

If you want feedback on just your first chapter, we have this forum.

Now, the thing about both of those forums is you need to have 50 substantive posts to start a thread. We like to make sure that people who get substantial volunteer help from this site are going to be the sort of folks to stick around, pay things back or forward, and generally be a part of our community. The good news is, there are lots of ways to make 50. You can critique other peoples' work, which is a great way to learn. There are lots of threads where we just chat about writing or non-writing subjects and you can post on those and make friends that way. And if you have a question that doesn't involve a specific critique, you can ask that question and get a discussion going.

So far the Beta Project has been annual or semi-annual. Since I don't run it, I can't guarantee it will stick around, but don't lose hope! You may well be able to enter next year. :)

margaret.pearson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
I checked out both of the links. The first seems extremely helpful (and precisely what I'm looking for!). However, the second requires a password, do you know what that might be?

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! I spaced on giving you the password. It's "vista" (no quotes). We have passwords on some forums so that it's harder for bots to find.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome: