Quote Originally Posted by aspirit View Post
Disney is likely to use Chinese biases as an excuse for its decisions. Chinese productions (from what I've watched) are better at portraying female warriors who run counter to American stereotypes for women than they are not making homophobic comments in queer situations. Despite how important Disney's animated Mulan has been for many children for providing the best (if problematic) representation for transgender and bisexual characters in mainstream movies,
I'm expecting Disney to be painfully clear that Mulan is a woman and No homo! with the excuse that it makes the movie more authentically Chinese.
I call total BS on Disney's part here. Authentically Chinese? How? Just because it was not talked about or recorded in Chinese history (that's going back 6000 years of written records) doesn't mean that it didn't happen. But if they're going for authentic, they need to look up the euphemisms and codes that people used for being gay, lesbian, bi, trans, in Ancient China. And I could have sworn one of the Emperors was gay, though I may be mis-remembering that.

(For example: the adult-oriented show, Mulan: Rise of the Warrior.) It's as if that could imply the original story doesn't belong to Disney.
I've actually ignored that show. And it's also not available "in my country".

If you all would like to watch a version that's closer to history and actually in Mandarin, I recommend "Mulan": https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1308138/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

Look for the review by dvoon-missy-mcmuffin. It's long, but this reviewer does give a nice description of what to expect from Mulan -- it's more along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in that war is not the point of the film.