Did You Know...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Tell any guy you know that his dick has fallen off, but it's okay, because it's still on the floor right in front of him and I guarantee he won't say, "Oh, well then everything's fine."

No... I did not know that.

Did you know that the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy is faced with a massive sword-wielding fanatic in the bazaar was actually supposed to be a huge action-packed sword fight between Indy and the big dude, but Harrison Ford was feeling sick that day, so he said, "This is stupid, I have a gun, why wouldn't I just shoot the guy." So they filmed it that way instead. And George Lucas was furious, because in his opinion, Indy would want to "fight fair" but he was powerless to change it. Of course, like the shooting of Greedo, it became one of the best-remembered scenes in the film.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
No I didn't know that. I mean I always found that scene funny and it does make sense, but if you have a vision I can understand how changing it would be annoy Lucas.

Did you know that the Jessica Jones Netflix show was supposed to have Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel as a key character but they couldn't use her at that moment (most likely the movie rights and stuff) so they used Trish Walker aka Hellcat instead?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that. I thought the introduction of superpowers for Trish was so clumsily done it must have been something unique to the Netflix series.

Did you know that Shrek originally featured Mike Myers in his regular voice? Only after they were well into production did he come back and say, no, it's got to be my Scottish accent. He re-did all his dialogue for free and upon hearing the new lines, the director agreed and they had to re-animate and re-render the scenes they'd already done to incorporate the new lines.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
Tell any guy you know that his dick has fallen off, but it's okay, because it's still on the floor right in front of him and I guarantee he won't say, "Oh, well then everything's fine."
To be fair, Tutankhamun's dick fell off long after he was dead and no one even noticed until thousands of years later, so...I think he wasn't too worried about it.

And I did know that

Did you know that no one really knows who wrote House of the Rising Sun? There are theories and speculation, sure, but no one really knows.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know earthworms are an invasive species in North America? They're changing the soil makeup in forests across the continent and gradually eroding the biodiversity of native tree species and may be promoting conditions favourable to other invasive species.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that.

Did you know that the DSM (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manuel of Mental Disorders) didn't remove homosexuality as a mental disorder until 1973? Being transgender wasn't removed from the DSM until 2013

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I knew that. I had to do a report on that for LGBTQ information needs, its crazy that transgender was in there for so long.

Going off the Shrek facts, did you know that they originally had Chris Farley as Shrek. They had some of his lines recorded until his untimely passing.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I did know that. Of course I know too much about Shrek, being a millennial and all. Shrek is love, Shrek is life....ugh.

Did you know that vikings would cut slits in between your ribs and pull your lungs on to the outside of your body? It was a ritual sacrifice called the Blood Eagle and it was both scary as hell and also pretty cool. Either that or I'm just a sick and morbid. Maybe both.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
I did know that. You forgot to precise they opened you alive and from the back from where they also remove the spine (learned about it in the series Norsemen).

Did you know we don't really know who really wrote the Art of War considering the way it's written? We are not even sure Sun Tzu existed.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that, but with so much oral history that's not too surprising.

Did you know that the first documented case of conversion therapy was performed by a guy who was basically just a glorified paranormal investigator? His name was Albert von Schrenck-Notzing and he claimed to have turned a gay man straight with 45 hypnosis sessions and some trips to a brothel. Bonus fact: Eugen Steinach also did some weird conversion therapy stuff. He thought that whatever it was that made you gay was inside your balls. This was back when women were thought to not have libidos and were just asexual baby-making machines, of course, so lesbians didn't exist in this man's mind, but he thought that if you took a straight man's balls and traded them out for a gay man's balls then the gay man would be 'cured'. It's so stupid.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know most of that garbage, but it's par for the course.

Did you know that a city in Georgia was called Terminus and then Marthasville before (in 1835) it became Atlanta?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that distillers would pour out a bit of hard liquor and set it on fire to prove it was the good stuff. Liquor burns at about 50% alcohol content, so over time it was rounded off to make 100 "proof" equal 50% pure alcohol.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that.

Did you know that horseshoe crab blood is blue and is a key ingredient to a lot of medications? There isn't a synthetic replacement for it, but scientists are working on it.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that but it's pretty cool, unless you're a horseshoe crab.

Did you know that sharks are particularly resistant to disease and virus despite their primitive immune systems?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't know that.

Did you know that F. Scott Fitzgerald--who often changed his mind about his work--wanted to title a novel "Under the Red, White and Blue" but could not, since his publisher had already begun to print the book as "The Great Gatsby"?

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that koalas' fingerprints are almost indistinguishable from humans'?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that koalas' fingerprints are almost indistinguishable from humans'?

Yes, and it makes me uneasy for reasons I'm not quite sure I can articulate.

To remains Oz-themed, and also extremely self-and-dog-referential, did you know the Australian Cattle Dog is only breed created by mixing wild dogs with domesticated ones? My understanding is that the topic of their lineage remains controversial, but the inclusion of dingos in their bloodline is beyond question.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that, but I probably should have.

Did you know the logo for the Royal New Zealand airforce features the kiwi... a flightless bird.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't know that.

Did you know that there are about 3,000 species of catfish?

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that, not at all

Did you know that the Powerpuff Girls was originally titled the Whoopass girls?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew that!

Did you know that toads can be hypnotized by laying them on their backs and stroking their bellies?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may have heard of that.

Did you know that all the collies who played Lassie on film and TV have been male?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
That sounds familiar...

Did you in 5 billion years the sun will turn into a red dwarf star and devour the first four planets (that includes Earth)?

*I learned that on my mug that gives facts about the planets when you add a hot liquid. Nothing like learning the world will end while drinking your coffee in the morning*

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did know that.

Did you know that Ryan Island is the largest Island on Lake Siskiwit, which is the largest lake on Isle Royale, which is the largest island on Lake Superior, making Ryan Island the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest lake in the world?

1sa1ahsMum

Registered
Reaction score
No,I did not know that.

Did you know that you are born with your adult teeth? They stay in your skull with your baby teeth until they are ready to come out.