Did You Know...

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
This game's pretty simple and it MIGHT be somewhere around here, but I just thought it would be fun because I'm a cesspool for what I consider fun facts and what my friends and family consider random useless tidbits. So how the game works is you're me with a 'fun fact' and you have to be honest about if you did or didn't know. The only rule is that it has to be a true fun fact so you can't say something like 'George Washington and Boudicca had a lovechild'. And the facts don't have to be related, but if they are that's cool so just go nuts.

So it would go a little something like :

'Did you know that in the Xmen comics Nightcrawler is Mystique's son?'

'Yes, I did know that.
Did you know that Sigmund Freud was opposed to conversion therapy for LGBTQI+ people?'

and et cetera et cetera. Pretty simple. Let's get it started!
----
Did you know that in ancient Egypt eating the medjed fish was prohibited because when Osiris was thrown into the Nile and dismembered the only part of him that wasn't recovered and reattached (aka his manhood) was eaten by these fish so eating them was considered bad luck?

Last edited:

ChloeRose

Taking the long view.
Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that George Washington was plagued with 9 Deadly Diseases over his lifetime: Tuberculosis, Malaria, Smallpox, Dysentery, Diphtheria, Quinsy, Carbuncle, Pneumonia and Epiglottitis.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that. How he managed to survive all of that when medicine was horrible is kind of a miracle.

Did you know that Stephen King wrote a musical with John Mellencamp?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that the Bible actually has two sets of "Ten Commandments" the first of which was only seen by Moses, as he destroyed them in a fit of pique upon returning to his people, this in it's modernized form is what most people think of as the definitive list, but the second set of Ten Commandments, which the Bible says were identical to the first set, is actually quite different, containing such commandments as, "The first born males of all your families, flocks and herds belong to me." (ie. they must be sacrificed) "You can save the life of the first-born donkey by sacrificing a lamb, you must save every first-born son." (So why include sons in the first place? Who knows?) and my personal favourite, "Don't boil a young goat in its mother's milk."

Rules to live by. As true now as they were then... I guess.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that, but 'don't boil a young goat in its mother's milk' sounds like an Oedipal kind of thing and I sort of love it.

Did you know that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, had about 40 wives? The youngest was 14 years old and her mother was also one of Joseph Smith's wives.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
I did hear of this a long time ago in a far away documentary (sorry I love to make this reference). What a creepy guy.

Did you know during the rule of Louis XIV in France it was a honor to watch the king... I'm disgusted to talk about this... defecate?

ChloeRose

Taking the long view.
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe I'd heard that previously...especially since defecating was rather an uninhibited and messy business in days-of-yore.

Did you know that as part of the New Deal Elanor Roosevelt devised a plan intended to take impoverished laborers, farmers, and coal miners from the destitute Appalachians and move them to a rural community where they could become economically self-sufficient? However the conditions in the area declined and Congress cut the funding for the project. Now it is still one of the most impoverished areas in one of the richest countries in the world.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Elanor Roosevelt was a boss ass bitch and the American government spends like 60% of its resources on the military, which has more funding than any other country in the world by an insanely massive margin, instead of things like education or the health care system so them cutting the funding on a project that would actually help some of its citizens isn't surprising.

But did you know that Elanor Roosevelt was infamous as a bad cook? One of her signature dishes was the Turkey Supreme and it's like something out of a nightmare. It was a mixture of turkey, nuts, pineapple, mayonnaise, and whipped cream that was frozen solid and then served cold.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm yummy, just like mom used to make. No... I did not know that.

Did you know that most people can tell whether you're pouring hot or cold water just from hearing it?

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that, but now that I'm thinking about it they do have a different sort of babble to it.

Did you know that Ted Bundy would sometimes keep the dismembered heads of his victims and use them for....fellatio?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I actually recall hearing that, but I'd scrubbed it from my working memory until just now. Thanks for that.

Did you know that this forum used to be called, "Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Games" until April 1st some years back when all the AW forums got Steampunk makeovers, and the mods just never changed it back?

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did know that.

Did you know that there are multiple kinds of banjos? 4-string (tenor) banjo, 5-string open-back banjo, 5-string resonator banjo (it has a huge circular bit of wood across the back and is louder), and 6-string banjo. Technically the 6-string banjo is to be tuned like a guitar, which opens up more types of banjos as there are other banjo-other instrument hybrids out there.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know all the types, but I did know there are multiple types of banjo.

Did you know that Bruce Lee's home in Hong Kong was said to have really terrible Fung Shuei, including the problem that he was nicknamed "Little Dragon" and his house had a view of mountains known as the Twin Dragons. To deflect the bad Fung Shuei, he had an octagonal mirror installed on his property. The night he died, he was at a friend's house in Hollywood. He took a couple of aspirin, and just died. Nobody really knows why he died, there's speculation that with his incredibly low body fat he had no cushion against a reaction to the aspirin, but nobody knows for sure. In the morning the mirror from his property in Hong Kong was found broken after a windstorm on the night he died.

ChloeRose

Taking the long view.
Registered
Reaction score
No, I did not know that.

Did you know that Theodore Roosevelt's mother and first wife both died on Valentines day, within 24 hours of one another, in the same house, and from different ailments?

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. Didn't know that. I guess Cupid loved them to death?!

Did you know an octopus has three hearts?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did! I love natural science.

Did you know a young Mick Jagger lost his virginity in a mental institution?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did know that.

Did you know that indoor toilets in England were championed by Thomas Crapper and you can still see his name today on manhole covers in London.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I knew about Thomas Crapper, but not about the manholes.

Did you know that there are some people who are immune to HIV and it's probably because they have ancestors who survived the plague?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I knew there were some people genetically resistant to HIV, but not the reason.

Did you know, there was a man who had a company that made and sold soap, and to help encourage housewives buy soap, he threw in packages of baking soda. Well, that baking soda was so popular, he soon dropped the soap and focused on making and selling baking soda, and to encourage housewives to buy it, they packaged gum with it. Well, guess what? Soon demand for the gum outstripped the demand for his baking soda, so William Wrigley Jr. switched one last time, to making and selling chewing gum.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that. I mean, clearly, his business model worked, even if it was kind of spastic.

Did you know that in the Victorian era there was arsinic in some wallpaper? If people got sick from staying in a certain room for too long it was probably because that room was literally poisonous.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I did not know that, but considering we still have trouble keeping manufacturers from using known poisons in the products they sell for consumer use it's hardly surprising.

Did you know [Stranger Things spoiler alert!] the girl who cruelly rejected Dustin at the dance during the ending of Season 2 was the same girl El exploded soda all over at the mall in the beginning of S3?

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I DID KNOW THAT!!! I love Stranger Things so much!

Did you know that Tutankhamun's penis fell off his mummy and there was a whole hullabaloo with the archeologists because 'whERE'S KING TUT'S DICK??' and it had just fallen into the bottom of his sarcophagus so everything was fine?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Tell any guy you know that his dick has fallen off, but it's okay, because it's still on the floor right in front of him and I guarantee he won't say, "Oh, well then everything's fine."

No... I did not know that.

Did you know that the scene in Indiana Jones where Indy is faced with a massive sword-wielding fanatic in the Bazaar was actually supposed to be a huge action-packed sword fight between Indy and the big dude, but Harrison Ford was feeling sick that day, so he said, "This is stupid, I have a gun, why wouldn't I just shoot the guy." So they filmed it that way instead. And George Lucas was furious, because in his opinion, Indy would want to "fight fair" but he was powerless to change it. Of course, like the shooting of Greedo, it became one of the best-remembered scenes in the film.