Hello from Tennessee

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Tennessee. My name is Robert and I am a relatively new writer. I've spent the last year crafting a fiction novel that falls into the fantasy medieval genre. The draft is pretty large, so I am busy self-editing and cutting what I can to bring it to a more suitable size. OR I am contemplating splitting it into 2 books. The problem I face is, if I split it, how to make a dramatic ending to the first that compels a reader to want to pick up the second. The story is written as a series and I already have ideas on the burner to contribute to books 2 and 3.

Anyway, I am thrilled to be writing since I have a non-creative day job that actually supports the family. I look forward to participating in the forums and learning as much as I can to improve my craft and provide positive input for those sharing the same journey.

All the best,

KRD

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Robert! Welcome! I'm Kat and I'm also new to writing.

I think writing with a day job is almost better because it forces you to get out of yourself and your own little world. Of course, I haven't tried to juggle publication + day job, just writing and revising.

This is a great community and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Robert, and welcome to you. Paring down a big monster of a book is hard work!

Maryn, who's struggled with it, too

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome:
Ah the joys of the big fantasy books and the problems of cutting and splitting. I suspect many int eh science fiction and fantasy board will know your pain only too well. It is a tricky one, but I would say to make sure the conclusion to book 1 is properly satisfying (even if it does not finish off the whole thing) whatever way you go.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to learn as much as I can and share my own experience where practical.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, KRD, and say "hey" to all the folks in Tennessee from Chase.

Looks to me that either way you go with one one novel or two, you're sitting pretty in a creative way.

Congratulations :applause: and :welcome:!

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Tennessee as well!

I feel that struggle on a spiritual level. I've scrapped countless fantasy writing endeavors after reviewing the first 40-50k words and thinking, "My god, I'm not even a third of the way in."

Do you have a major inspiration for writing medieval fantasy? I've always loved the stuff, had several ideas come and go, but I've never felt confident in my knowledge of the medieval era as a whole to write a compelling and informed piece.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Tennessee as well!

I feel that struggle on a spiritual level. I've scrapped countless fantasy writing endeavors after reviewing the first 40-50k words and thinking, "My god, I'm not even a third of the way in."

Do you have a major inspiration for writing medieval fantasy? I've always loved the stuff, had several ideas come and go, but I've never felt confident in my knowledge of the medieval era as a whole to write a compelling and informed piece.

No specific inspiration. I've just always enjoyed reading that period. I moved away from fantasy as I got older. I read a lot of Tom Clancy, Grisham, Dan Brown, other thrillers. I moved into religion and military history (I know, funny mix) but the military history bounced between WW2, American Civil War, and the Napoleonic era. I just really enjoy history. Never strayed back into medieval fantasy until family started sharing some books such as Steven Erikson's Malazan Series.

I have three story lines that I have developed over the years across different genres but the medieval fantasy one is the subject that had the most promise, so I started there and have really enjoyed the journey. I am in self-edit mode and have lined up about 5 beta-readers. I want another 5-7 readers and should be ready to share a good draft by October.