Reasonable prices for help with formatting?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! A friend's 90-year-old uncle needs help with self-publishing formatting. He's going to use CreateSpace and Kindle Connect. I've recommended that he pay a professional. If he goes that route, what's a good price for formatting for both platforms, and how do you tell if you're hiring the right person?

Thanks in advance!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
You might start by checking out Fiverr. Those resources can be found there, and look at sample works. Editing can be had at reasonable prices as well. I pay about $200 a book for my editor, who I contract with directly now. I don't know about paperback formatting but I suspect it is probably in the same range, maybe cheaper. It's not really that time consuming.

FYI Createspace is going away. It is being replaced by KDP Print. Same thing. I am not familiar with Kindle Connect. What is that?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
There are many people out there who do formatting for both ebooks and POD books (and yes, CreateSpace is gone--it was absorbed into KDP). I can recommend Amy Atwell at Author EMS as being knowledgeable and straightforward, but try googling and see what else you come up with.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caitlin, I tried to respond to your PM but it bounced back with a message that your box is full. So here's the gist of that message:

I'm probably the last person you'd want to ask about self-publishing formatting. When I decide to self-publish my fantasy series after my publisher folded last year, I realized pretty quickly that I had neither the time nor the patience to learn formatting. Through another author's recommendation, I found someone to do it for me: Michelle Argyle at Melissa Williams Design. (She is also redesigning my covers, partially because I wanted a fresh look and partially because my former designer wasn't being particularly helpful.) I've been very happy with her. There are certainly other, cheaper formatters out there, if paying for the service is even in the realm of possibility for your friend.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Mrsmig, sorry about the full PM box. Cleared a few messages now. And yeah - AW Admin sent me your name as someone to ask.

In any event, I'll be sending my friend the 2 names/companies mentioned by people in this thread, and the info about CreateSpace getting absorbed into Kindle.

Thanks all! Hopefully this will help my friend's uncle!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've also looked up both names provided here--thanks Melissa and MrsMig! They look like a good start and I'm learning the scope of this formatting endeavor already.

I'm bumping the thread to see if anyone else has worked with formatters they can recommend.

???

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
When I had a self-pub project, I read five or six solid books on typography and layout (I had searched through the self-pub forum for title recommendations!), and then used Scribus to put together my layout. My printing was done through Lightning Source.

I probably had an easier time with Scribus because I'd already had a little experience with helping a friend put a catalog together for his biz using Microsoft Publisher. So I had a rough idea as to how desktop publishing software worked (versus, say, a word processor), what to watch out for, and things like that. And likewise, because of other experiences in my background, I had a better eye for font readability, how to appropriately mix fonts, tracking/leading/kerning, and stuff like that.

I'd definitely recommend Scribus--- but I'd recommend checking out some good books on book design first, so that you have a direction you want to work towards. We're so used to seeing good book design (in terms of typography and layout), we take it for granted, and it can be invisible--- and when we run into bad book design, it's not always obvious as to what's the matter. Having the research under your belt helps you know, "Ah, this is a modern typeface with a vertical stress and thin, flat horizontal serifs. It's going to be hard on the eyes if I use it in a block of text, so I want a serif typeface with a diagonal stress and less dramatic emphasis between the thicks and thins."

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Marissa D - can I be nosy ask who did your covers? They are lovely and eye catching.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Thank you very much, Sandee. It's a mixed bag: the first three were done by my publisher at the time, and the rest by different designers. A couple I found at www.selfpubbookcovers.com; I have enough graphic design chops to do a respectable job with the titling. The newest one is by a German designer who goes by "Ravenborn".