Hello From Maine!

christinethebean88

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! My name is Christine and I'm very excited to join this community of writers! I've been writing since I was a child and on and off through my adult years. Being from Maine, I got my hands on some Stephen King novels at a far-too-young age and wanted to be just like him. My parents (being the wonderfully supportive people they are) got me a typewriter and I would sit at the kitchen table for hours writing ghost stories. It would drive my overly practical brother insane when I said I was going to be just like Stephen King ("He writes on a computer, not a typewriter!").

I still love reading and writing a good ghost story, but I also love writing all across the fantasy/Sci Fi/horror genres. I often need a push to get any actual writing done, which it why I've participated in NaNoWriMo for the last, roughly, 8 years. I'm not always successful, and I go through periods in my life when I don't write at all, but I always come back to it.

In my day job I'm a financial analyst in revenue accounting at a large company. It's a good job, and I'm good at it, but I'd love to fulfill my dream of writing full time some day. In my spare time, I'm a bit of a homebody. I love hanging out at home with my husband and our elderly animals. I love going to movies (especially the drive-in this time of year), board games, and singing at the top of my lungs (not all at the same time).

Anyway, I'm really excited to get to know everyone here and really be a part of this community :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
From one relocated Mainer to another :welcome: I hope to see some of your work here to be critiqued. Good luck.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar story! I'm not near Maine, but I remember 3rd grade or so, I found a copy of Firestarter in my mom's closet, and I've been hooked ever since. That's what got me really wanting to be a writer too. The way he could always creep me out and his way with words!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Christine (the '58 Plymouth Fury). :welcome:!

I was in my early thirties when Carrie was published, and I bought one of the first prints. From then on, I was a die hard Stephen King fan and bought every novel since.

I wrote sci-fi short stories in college and grad school and am currently working on a second mystery novel. To me, the best mystery written is SK's The Colorado Kid.
Spooky thing: I followed MadAlice's IP address to her location, and it's actually in Derry, Maine. :badthoughts

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Spooky thing: I followed MadAlice's IP address to her location, and it's actually in Derry, Maine. :badthoughts

Whaaaaaaaaaaat. Sure, let's go with that:evil

Sure I am friends with Molly the dog*....

*Unfortunately I have no real affiliation with Stephen King.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I love board games, and singing at the top of my lungs (not all at the same time).
Wait, What?! - Doesn't everyone play board games while singing at the top of his or her lungs? :Shrug:

Anyway, :welcome: Christine

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
Welcome from someone a tad south (Louisiana). When I think of Maine, I think of maple syrup. And snow. Welcome to the board.

Dianee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for the great introduction! I love that you grew up typing stories on a typewriter! I used a typewriter as a child but computers took over when I was in middle school. I still hand write drafts with pencil and paper though :) I think most of us need a 'push' to get writing done, lol. It's great you keep coming back to it and good luck! Diane