Jutoh --- Any reason not to use it?

LazyDaze

A Slow Grind
Registered
Reaction score
I tested out my book on Kindle a month ago. It published nicely onto the Kindle using Jutoh. I was wondering if there is any reason not to keep using this software. I'm wondering if there is anything lurking that might back me into a corner later. I use MS word to Jutoh.

Thanks,
j

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Well, full disclosure is that some of those books in my sig are NY published--I've used Jutoh on three books so far, two a couple of years ago and one recently (not yet released) with the new improved version. I found the new version easier to use than the old.

LazyDaze

A Slow Grind
Registered
Reaction score
Well, full disclosure is that some of those books in my sig are NY published--I've used Jutoh on three books so far, two a couple of years ago and one recently (not yet released) with the new improved version. I found the new version easier to use than the old.

I have version 2.89. Worked fast. It's funny, because I write my chapters as separate documents fully formatted. I write very long chapters and later bust up further where logical. Anyhow, after combining all my chapters into one doc and running it through the software, it was funny to see that Jutoh broke the document up into chapter files. I might test feeding it multiple documents and see what it does.

I have another quick question, since you are an experienced guru at this. Do you use custom characters or pictographs for your scene breaks? Is it worth it to do so or just a useless exercise? Or should I do a separate post and bug someone else?

Thanks, :)
And congratulations on your publishing successes.

j

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
It's kind of funny--when I do print book layouts for myself or others (I'm part of an author co-op), I do them lush and decorative and visually interesting, with clip art for scene breaks and chapter headers to match the story and the feel of the cover. But when I do ebook formatting, I go for as simple as possible, just to reduce the number of things that could possibly go wrong on various reading devices--so I use three asterisks with a space between them, like so: * * *

And thank you!