Drunk Writing: Yay or Nay?

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had any desire to write while inebriated. I love to play my guitar when I'm drunk. Writing? Not so much.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
That's hysterical. I'd never heard that story before.

I've heard that alcohol and other intoxicants can cause a person to loosen their inhibitions some, and I've always wondered if doing that ever impacted someone in a way that it positively influenced their writing. Stephen King certainly has the following and fiscal success to support that theory, it would seem.

It's an interesting story. Being that drunk and high is something. It makes me excited to read the book.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have a quirky issue in which I have experience nothing but nightmares. I can count the good dreams from my life on my ten fingers, and drinking before bed is one of the few things that keeps the nightmares at bay. A solid night's sleep is a precious commodity not to be squandered.
Not to lecture, but if you're drinking before bed, you're probably not getting the right kind of sleep.

To answer the question - I couldn't drink/write any more than I could drink/read. However, I find drinking is good for managing those waiting-for-the-agent's-feedback days - but again, it may not be the right kind of management. ;)

SAWeiner

Reaction score
In the past, but not recently, I have written after drinking some hard cider. With me having some anxiety when putting words to paper, and this leading me to procrastinate, I definitely understand how alcohol or marijuana could get the process moving. I am not ready to become an addict for the sake of art though.

Last edited:

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who swears by, "write drunk, edit sober".

Personally, I can't. If I'm even a little drunk, I'm in relaxation mode, and I can't concentrate enough to write. It's not that my writing is bad when I'm drunk, I just can't get anything down.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of writing buzzed (not drunk, just a little buzz), but the sad truth is I have a very low tolerance, one drink and I can be chatty, but too sleepy to sit and be productive with words.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I occasionally write while having a glass of red. I don't really drink enough to get drunk. The thought of drunk writing is not appealing at all.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Some people here mentioned that Stephen King writes drunk sometimes. His writing can be pretty raunchy. Maybe he writes like that when he's drunk. Personally, I find it a bit distracting and it comes across as being inauthentic. Other people may like it.

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
Drink and be merry as the saying goes. I drink to reduce various inhibitions. I surely wouldn't write what I write under the influence nor would I approach that woman. I also drink because I get an instant boost on happiness about 11 percent. Happy writing!!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Some people here mentioned that Stephen King writes drunk sometimes. His writing can be pretty raunchy. Maybe he writes like that when he's drunk. Personally, I find it a bit distracting and it comes across as being inauthentic. Other people may like it.

Drinking while writing is a potential disaster. I know of a writer who did that and found out after a while that she couldn't write without drinking—and then realized she'd become an alcoholic.

Stephen King has been very frank about the problems alcohol and cocaine created for him personally and professionally.

Have a drink after the work is done; not before or during.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I admit I've had a dram of scotch or a pint or two of beer when I'm writing down at the local brew pub -- mainly because they would frown on me taking up one of their tables without purchasing something. Same reason I buy a nice cup of fancy coffee when I'm at the local coffee shop or a iced tea at the local B&N when I write in their cafe.

However, I've long sense passed the stage of drinking more than a glass or two in a day. I think the Army cured me of that. *grin* Plus, I drink because I enjoy the taste, not to get a buzz, so to me, it's really no different than a glass of tea or lemonade, just more expensive.

I don't require the alcohol to write. I do just as well (or as poorly, depending on the reviewer) writing on water, tea, coffee, air . . .

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why stop at drunk writing? :e2drunk: It's more and more legal to toke up, and don't forget texting (you hearies can also carry on a phone conversation). Turn on the TV and crank up the stereo while racing pell mell to THE END without revision.

Then, send the whole shebang as is to your editor. Make him or her earn the exorbitant fees reading through your pearls of wisdom. :roll:

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
My problem is if I do any drinking and writing it is like blogging drunk at 1am, not a good thing. Mostly though it takes a while before I am going through a folder on the computer and wonder what a certain document is. Yup. The one saved but not in the correct place, and it has nothing to do with anything anyhow. Trash can.

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who swears by, "write drunk, edit sober".

Personally, I can't. If I'm even a little drunk, I'm in relaxation mode, and I can't concentrate enough to write. It's not that my writing is bad when I'm drunk, I just can't get anything down.

I have a good writing friend who says the exact same thing. I suppose for some people it just really hits the mark to get their creative side going!

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Drinking while writing is a potential disaster. I know of a writer who did that and found out after a while that she couldn't write without drinking—and then realized she'd become an alcoholic.

Stephen King has been very frank about the problems alcohol and cocaine created for him personally and professionally.

Have a drink after the work is done; not before or during.

That was an absolutely fascinating read. I was unaware entirely that King had struggled through such substance abuse, and the fact that he used that experience to fuel Dr. Sleep makes me much more intrigued to read it.

I feel as though anything that alters the function of the mind-- from alcohol to iboga-- can play a dangerous role in the process of productivity and creation. It's one thing to loosen up a little, but knowing when you've crossed the line into the realm of alcoholism or other substance abuse is impossible to detect until it's too late. When have you left the realm of "relaxation and reducing your inhibitions", and crossed the line into dangerous, self-destructive territory? Almost no alcoholic can define that life-altering moment, and that alone speaks volumes.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write while drunk to save my life. I've tried. Every time I'm like 'if Edgar Allan Poe could do it then so can I' and I cannot. When I get drunk I become hilarious but stupid. Maybe if I was like...from my own point of view I could do it. I dunno. Something to try out next time I have a few, but it kind of blows my mind that so many authors are straight up alcoholics or drug addicts and are so talented!

Writing while I'm exhausted, however, I have done and it's usually not bad, but it's a different kind of state of mind.

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Why stop at drunk writing? :e2drunk: It's more and more legal to toke up, and don't forget texting (you hearies can also carry on a phone conversation). Turn on the TV and crank up the stereo while racing pell mell to THE END without revision.

Then, send the whole shebang as is to your editor. Make him or her earn the exorbitant fees reading through your pearls of wisdom. :roll:

I'm cackling.

Oh dear. If I had an editor, I'd love yet hate to torment the soul that would have to sift through such an elaborate construct of a to-the-finish-line story, fueled by an imagination repeatedly derailing itself to popcorn-thought-land.

But hey, Mac and Devin go to High School made it to theaters. Somebody somewhere capitalized on that golden opportunity, so I guess you can't count it out as impossible.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, we've been getting lot of great song lyrics since the 60s from writers who were drunk and high. Why not books? I'm guessing Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson were not always sober when writing.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
That was an absolutely fascinating read. I was unaware entirely that King had struggled through such substance abuse, and the fact that he used that experience to fuel Dr. Sleep makes me much more intrigued to read it.

I feel as though anything that alters the function of the mind-- from alcohol to iboga-- can play a dangerous role in the process of productivity and creation. It's one thing to loosen up a little, but knowing when you've crossed the line into the realm of alcoholism or other substance abuse is impossible to detect until it's too late. When have you left the realm of "relaxation and reducing your inhibitions", and crossed the line into dangerous, self-destructive territory? Almost no alcoholic can define that life-altering moment, and that alone speaks volumes.

Dr. Sleep is a good book. I have a friend who is a professional musician that plays guitar in several rock bands, has for decades, and he says that he got used to drinking on stage because people at the shows would buy them drinks. He learned where his limit was to where he could drink and party but still be able to perform and play as well as he could sober. He said there is a fine line and he makes sure not to cross it.