Too many "her"s!!!

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
How could this be better phrased? There are four 'her's in that one sentence. Also, too many words beginning with the letter 'h'.

He grabbed her head by the hair on the back of her head and berated her, inches from her face.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how to strikethrough, so I colored deletions red instead.

He grabbed her head by the hair on the back of her head and berated her, inches from her face.

Alternately, He grabbed her head by the hair on the back of her head and berated her, inches from her face.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Strikethrough code is left bracket s right bracket, and then left bracket /s right bracket. But it didn't work for me when I started here, either.

OP: I think some stuff can be intimated by the reader. I'd convert the breaking to dialog (showing, not telling).

He grabbed a handful of hair at the nape of her neck and leaned in so close her breath brushed his chin. "You don't own me. (etc dialog)."

He yanked her head backward and laid into her, his eyes inches from her own.
Grabbing her ponytail and yanking down, he berated her, inches away.

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strikethrough code is left bracket s right bracket, and then left bracket /s right bracket. But it didn't work for me when I started here, either.
It's also on the menu if you click the "Go Advanced" option in the lower right corner of the post-composition screen, along with some other handy options.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score

It's also on the menu if you click the "Go Advanced" option in the lower right corner of the post-composition screen, along with some other handy options.

:e2smack: Oh for heaven's sake, why didn't I notice—

Thank you, both of you! And now back to our featured programming . . .

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
OP: I think some stuff can be intimated by the reader. I'd convert the breaking to dialog (showing, not telling).

He grabbed a handful of hair at the nape of her neck and leaned in so close her breath brushed his chin. "You don't own me. (etc dialog)."
He yanked her head backward and laid into her, his eyes inches from her own.
Grabbing her ponytail and yanking down, he berated her, inches away.

Hey, you're good! Muchas gracias! :)

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score

Alternately, He grabbed her head by the hair on the back of her head and berated her, inches from her face.

Those are good, too! They're minor characters, so that might be the way to go. Thanks! :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Words of wisdom, (because everyone else already posted excellent suggestions): Don't say it twice and don't say it if it is obvious, the reader can figure it out.

He grabbed her by the hair
Of course the hair is on her head and if he gets in her face you can guess it's on the back of her head, but also, back of head, side of head, it doesn't matter to picture the scene.​

I agree, show the berating, don't tell it.

Last edited:

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score

He grabbed her by the hair and berated her, inches from her face.

He took her by the hair and berate her.

He took hold of her, grabbed her by the hair and berate her.

Whatever you find suited, I guess.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this involves minor characters why bother with the hair? Dialogue can convey it all.

What is he berating her for or about?

Last edited: