4th of July fireworks hell:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I live in the capitol of NYS, Albany. Everyone here, especially our revered mayor, pretends to be friend of the environment --and even a vegan.

Although people here pretend that they are leftists who "support" the New Green Deal, many of them have vans, suvs, motorcycles, and if money permits it, personal helicopters. Everyone loves to go vacation, take a cruise, travel the world, if money allows it... being an environmentalist and polluting at the same time.

The day, however, where all Americans (poor folks, politicians, rich people, businessmen, servicemen, etc.) show their "big love" and "big respect" for the environment is the 4th of July.

The fireworks start blowing from 4PM, releasing all kinds of poisons in the sky, till 2AM of the next day. I have been unfortunate enough to live downtown.... which means that I never sleep on July 4th, the next day I have to smell all the poisonous smoke and definitely wash my bike that becomes dark from the fireworks.

People here say to each other on July 4th that you should be proud to be an American, but none on the left or the right of the politics ever dares to tell an American "you should change your lifestyle". Telling an American to change her lifestyle equals to political suicide.

In this country lives only the 5% of the world population, but this country produces almost the 20% of the carbon emissions in the world. Has not the time come for our Democrat mayors tell the people no more fireworks?

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Has not the time come for our Democrat mayors tell the people no more fireworks?

It's already begun.

No bursting in air: Carefree uses drones instead of fireworks to celebrate the Fourth
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/07/04/drones-fireworks-show-fourth-of-july/

Next on the list: vege bugers and hot dogs.

Oh. Wait. That has begun too.

Beyond Meat Fever Turns the Tiny Pea Into America’s Hot New Crop
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...urns-the-tiny-pea-into-america-s-hot-new-crop

Tim Hortons will start selling Beyond Meat sandwiches across Canada
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/business/beyond-meat-tim-hortons/index.html

McDonald’s New Meatless Burger Is Aimed at a Different Kind of Eater: The Part-Time Vegan
https://fortune.com/2019/06/06/mcdonalds-meatless-burger-vegan/

Soybean. China tariffs on US soybeans. US soybean farmers looking for other markets.

Hmmm.

Too bad Washington is sleeping at the switch...

-cb

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They showed a Seattle air quality graph on the news this morning showing a huge spike in bad air from the fireworks.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I was complaining about how they should ban fireworks in LA, and realized they already did, like, forever ago. Didn't stop anyone in my neighborhood.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was complaining about how they should ban fireworks in LA, and realized they already did, like, forever ago. Didn't stop anyone in my neighborhood.

Yup. The law in Massachusetts says that it is "illegal for private citizens to use, possess, or sell fireworks in Massachusetts, or to purchase them legally elsewhere and then transport them into the state." Yet, one neighborhood I lived in would stage fairly lavish use of small fireworks and firecrackers, organized by a cop who lived there. :tongue

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another Albanyian here, and I went inside after 10 minutes of watching the fireworks from my deck, because the billowing clouds of smoke pouring into the city from the fireworks. The air was baaad.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Interestingly, I was just talking with my DH about the fact that here on Cape Cod, there were far, far fewer "extracurricular" fireworks than usual--almost no one seems to have run up to New Hampshire to stock up on fireworks this year. I did read an article in the WaPo earlier this spring about how the high tariff on fireworks (imported from China) would possibly put a dent in their use, and that seems to have been true in my small neck of the woods.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Another Albanyian here, and I went inside after 10 minutes of watching the fireworks from my deck, because the billowing clouds of smoke pouring into the city from the fireworks. The air was baaad.

Good to have neighbors here :)

Every 5th of July coworkers ask me whether I liked the fireworks, and my standard answer is: I was sleeping.

I have no idea what else should I tell people, since they may think that an immigrant like me does not respect 4th of July and American customs, whereas my only concern is the environmental damage and the education we give to children (whom we teach to love fireworks, cars, guns, etc.)

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Local drunk idiots here love to shoot off fireworks past curfew and traumatize my poor cats (and me). :(

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Yeah, they were illegal in LA when I was a kid--except for municipal displays.

They allow the ground-based ones here in Sacramento, but anything that flies up in the air is illegal. Doesn't stop people, though.

My dogs think of it as the "day of scary explosions." There has been a spike of lost dog reports in our area on petfinder for the past week. Some people really don't understand how dumb it is to leave their dogs in their yards unsupervised or off leash in open areas at this time of year (or at any time, really, but especially when there are frequent loud noises that encourage them to bolt). Fortunately, mine don't mind it too much. One is pretty blase about it, and the other just barks at the loudest ones (which is annoying when the explosions occur after bedtime).

I don't begrudge folks one day to cut loose, as long as the fireworks are safe and legal (and there are the municipal displays too), but it drives me nuts how some folks are setting off loud and illegal fireworks for weeks before and after. I'm pretty sure the fact that it's an annoyance is what makes it appealing to some.

Having said this, I couldn't help noticing that this year was quieter than the last few have been in our neighborhood. Maybe the day falling on a Thursday meant more folks went out of town for the weekend or something.

I hadn't thought of the long-term environmental impact of fireworks. I suspect it's pretty minor compared to the daily things we all do (often with little choice--rich folks' private helicopters notwithstanding) and the impact of corporate decisions on the environment. It's the latter that are driving most of the carbon footprint, unfortunately, and it's desperately hard for most of us to boycott them all.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My dogs think of it as the "day of scary explosions."

It's the one day a year I see him genuinely stressed or unhappy. Kinda rough. Of course, the fireworks in my neighborhood go from the end of May well into August, so the only time he hasn't been barking lately was for those ten minutes when the earthquake struck and he was totally silent & calm. So much for that myth.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's the one day a year I see him genuinely stressed or unhappy. Kinda rough. Of course, the fireworks in my neighborhood go from the end of May well into August, so the only time he hasn't been barking lately was for those ten minutes when the earthquake struck and he was totally silent & calm. So much for that myth.

My pets have never reacted to any earthquake we've been in over the years, at least not that I've noticed.

Are you near where it hit in So Cal? I hope you didn't experience any damage. My relatives felt the second one in OC and Corona, but not the first one. My mom's dogs, who bark at everything, didn't react to either quake, though.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Private fireworks were banned in San Diego County when we arrived there in 1959. Sales prohibited. Didn't hear illegal ones much. Municipal displays (usually near water) were allowed.

Came up to Oregon in 1978, and was appalled to see fireworks sales just before the 4th of July (and maybe before New Year's Eve). Lots noisier. But for several years, sales seem to have dropped. The booths with sales are smaller and there aren't so many of them. But it's still noisy.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My pets have never reacted to any earthquake we've been in over the years, at least not that I've noticed.

Are you near where it hit in So Cal? I hope you didn't experience any damage.

Oh no, Central LA so totally fine. Felt them both, and the 2nd gave me some Northridge vibes, but I think only the people in Ridgecrest and Trona suffered serious damage.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Local drunk idiots here love to shoot off fireworks past curfew and traumatize my poor cats (and me). :(

I was awakened at 3 am July 4 (meaning 3 am the MORNING of July 4, not after the fireworks) by a 30 minute barrage down my street. I live in the last part of the greater Seattle area that still allows fireworks, and boy, do people take advantage. I left home and came up to the mountains and I'm still here (and will be until Monday, when I'm hopeful people will have run out of M-80s.) I'm 100% for Native American sovereignty, but the selling industrial fireworks thing does push the limits of my "live and let live" mindset. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.