• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

How I Beat the Block

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this for others to benefit. Be warned: it's a bit wacky. But it's worked for me every time.

Find a quiet area. Act out the last scene you had concretely planned.

I know how it sounds, but get into it. Get animated! Feel your character's voice. Commit to their actions, with props if you have to! If you really explore their minds from the inside out, you'll say or do something naturally that they would do next. It will give you a good place to build from. No lie, I do this in my basement when I'm really stuck. Some of my best-written scenes were acted out in that cold, dank basement.

Happy writing all!
Justin

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try it! I'm already the lunatic who sings while skipping on the beach.

It works if you have trouble with "stage directions," as well (too many or too few). I overuse them when I really get into a scene. My sister was doing an alpha read for me and pointed it out. Not only were there too many, but they weren't consistent. I didn't see what she meant and she made us act it out. It was hilariously awful and we were able to pare it down to what made sense.

(Yes, I have a wonderful sister.)

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I do something similar to this almost every time I write! I don't physically act anything out, but I usually spend 10-15 minutes with my eyes closed in front of my computer screen and try to get into my character's head. I really try to visualize the scene and what the character would be feeling during it and try to play through the whole scene I want to write before I actually start writing.

Most of the time, it works really well. So well, that if it's a particularly emotional scene, it really gets to me and can leave me in a weird emotional state the rest of the day.

Other times, it doesn't work at all and I still spend an hour or two struggling to get a couple of sentences down, but I've come to accept that there's just going to be days like that and I can try again tomorrow.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this for others to benefit. Be warned: it's a bit wacky. But it's worked for me every time.

Find a quiet area. Act out the last scene you had concretely planned.

I know how it sounds, but get into it. Get animated! Feel your character's voice. Commit to their actions, with props if you have to! If you really explore their minds from the inside out, you'll say or do something naturally that they would do next. It will give you a good place to build from. No lie, I do this in my basement when I'm really stuck. Some of my best-written scenes were acted out in that cold, dank basement.

Happy writing all!
Justin

Good idea! Sounds like fun, too! :)

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really good idea. I'm going to have to try it out the next time I catch the block lol which will probably be soon.

Brooklyn_Story_Coach

Non est ad astra mollis e terrisvia
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrooklynStoryCoach.com
One thing I love to do is draw out whatever sticking for me. Sometimes, I'll draw an entire scene, the face of a character, or even just the words of dialogue. Oh... I AM TERRIBLE AT DRAWING.

It helps, though. As if it activates a new node in my brain. Hope it can help.

-BTM