Promoting a book BEFORE you get the deal -- why are people doing this?

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I'm seeing more and more unpublished authors seeking agents and trade publishing deals (NOT self-published, that's a different ballgame), who seem to think that the time to start promoting their books is BEFORE they find a book deal or even an agent.

By this, I mean, sending out tweets like "Visit my website to read an excerpt from MY FIRST NOVEL, coming on UNKNOWN DATE from UNKNOWN PUBLISHER!" or creating websites specifically for the book, or posting excerpts from early drafts of the book. In some cases these books aren't even finished.

Their thinking is that this will help them get published. My thinking (and what I thought was the industry's thinking) is that this would actually do more harm than good. While I understand the value of building a platform, your platform should be for you as an author, not for any specific book, and that no decent publisher would want you promoting a book that may change drastically--up to and including the title--between the time it's picked up and the time it's released, and on which their editorial and marketing departments haven't had any input.

My thinking is also that the best way to get the attention of publishers is to write a good book and a good query letter, first and foremost.

Also, where is this coming from? Is there some guru out there promoting this? Are people just misinterpreting the whole "platform" approach? I encountered someone on a Facebook group for writers just today who insisted that she promoted her book for a year before it was published and that "four publishers all wanted my book."

So please, tell me would this be helpful? Harmful? Maybe just useless? Because it's frankly driving me crazy every time I see it, but if I'm wrong and there is value in it, maybe I need to pipe down.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Interesting. I’ve come across it once or twice, and thought it was strange as well. Following this thread because I’m curious now!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That... seems like a bad idea? If the book bellyflops with agents or publishers, then what? Besides embarrassment that is.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That... seems like a bad idea? If the book bellyflops with agents or publishers, then what? Besides embarrassment that is.

I suppose many of these people are going into this assuming they'll self-publish if can't find a publisher. Which on its own shouldn't be embarrassing, but if you've been publicly parading your book in front of publishers, it probably would.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I have a website for my world, and on the website I plan to put free novellas. The timing seems important--get the book out first, and coordinate everything.

My best bet on the question is that these folks are querying and there is mixed advice out there of having a website, etc, plus the query manager question DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE? all gives off the YOU BETTER HAVE A WEBSITE vibe.

My guess is people are trying to get their ducks in a row, and there are so many options out there (I mean, so many, and growing by the day--there's a thing to add to the list called audio dramas, and a new thing called AMP stories by google. I think in this 'rapidly changing environment' people figure there are no rules--just get your stuff out! I'm old enough to remember when blogs first came out, and the sense was, 'Who are these people? Journalists?' Things keep changing.)

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I suppose many of these people are going into this assuming they'll self-publish if can't find a publisher. Which on its own shouldn't be embarrassing, but if you've been publicly parading your book in front of publishers, it probably would.

Other reasons this is a bad idea:

- You're publishing a portion of your book. Yes, putting a chapter on a public web site is publishing.
- A publisher (and sometimes an agent) will likely have edits and revisions they want you to do, which will render your published novel excerpt obsolete.

I wonder if the one-in-a-million Wattpad success stories are feeding this?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of so-called marketing and publicity experts claim that you should promote your books as soon as you possibly can.

It's ridiculous.

Until your work has been signed, edited, and proofed you have no idea what the final version will be, and so the extracts you put up online can be horribly misleading. Also, it does not help sales. It just makes people bored with your book before it is even signed.

Don't do it. Be sensible.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes because of the terrible advice some people throw out - that agents/publishers won't give you a deal unless you have a "following" (note: I'm talking about fiction here, not nonfic where a platform is important).

Sometimes because of excitement and wanting to share their work.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sometimes because of the terrible advice some people throw out - that agents/publishers won't give you a deal unless you have a "following" .

Ugh. I suspect this is what is driving most of this. Among less-informed corners of the Web I encounter this SO often. People believe that your “following” matters MORE than actually writing a good book, even though they usually can’t name a single fiction writer who got published on the strength of his or her “following” ( or they point to some celeb who was famous for other reasons first as “proof.”)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I met an aspiring writer a couple of years ago who was absolutely convinced of things like: Most writers only get published because of who they know, there’s no such thing as bad publicity, if you have enough Twitter followers you’re bound to be published, etc. He was a walking sign labelled Wrong Ideas.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I met an aspiring writer a couple of years ago who was absolutely convinced of things like: Most writers only get published because of who they know, there’s no such thing as bad publicity, if you have enough Twitter followers you’re bound to be published, etc. He was a walking sign labelled Wrong Ideas.
Pretty sure I know that guy. He's also the one who insists you beta-read the first draft that he finished last Wednesday, and when you send your notes back (four days later) he says thanks, but he's already sent it out to the publishers. All of the publishers.

And then he explains - at quite some length - that the trick is to interest everyone at once, to build an auction.

On a first draft.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! And when I said “I met”, it was when he became my new boss for a short time. :Shrug:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! And when I said “I met”, it was when he became my new boss for a short time. :Shrug:

Why is Wrong Idea Guy always hired to supervise poor suffering people who just want to do their jobs? Is it because he is So. Completely. Confident. ABOUT EVERYTHING? Agh I hatehimdieWrongGuydie

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WrongGuy had Significant Issues. Perhaps off his meds. In any case, I didn’t have to work for him very long. :applause:

The ironic thing was, Spouse has been published. I several times told him that his Wrong Ideas were directly contradicted by her experiences. He wanted to know if she could introduce him to people, because that’s how you get published... :e2smack:

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty sure he was here for a time, before flouncing. Sorry about that. :e2shrug:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For everyone else: Wrong Guy heard that my wife was published, and asked for a link to her books, and I told him that we hang out here (“in a forum for writers”), before I knew he was Wrong Guy. I’d never have given her (or the rest of you) up to Wrong Guy. :cry:

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For everyone else: Wrong Guy heard that my wife was published, and asked for a link to her books, and I told him that we hang out here (“in a forum for writers”), before I knew he was Wrong Guy. I’d never have given her (or the rest of you) up to Wrong Guy. :cry:
Don't beat yourself up. There's a WrongGuy for each of us.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes because of the terrible advice some people throw out - that agents/publishers won't give you a deal unless you have a "following".

We live in a world in which C$75 gets you 15,000 followers. It's easy to build a platform this way. That's what attracts other businesses or so goes the thinking.

Achat d'abonnés sur Instagram: une pratique «frustrante» mais «très présente»
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...ne-pratique-frustrante-mais-tres-presente.php

Translation: The Pretty Runner was a scam to check how easy it was to build followers on Youtube and Instagram.

Sometimes Often because of excitement and wanting to share their work. ego.

Fixed.

-cb

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
They're amateurs.

(ok, 'amateur' is a problem word here if you like to quibble* - but what I mean is that this sounds like the kind of thing done by a person who fails to quite 'get' how professional/established publishing works, or they are willfully ignoring it because thier primary motivation is a fantasy about publishing.)

*I love to quibble.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I was bluntly told by a small press owner that I had to have a "platform" before even querying the book. That sounded ridiculous to me, but I realize now that this was only because they had no inclination or ability to do any marketing themselves, so it was up to me. When I sent back my R&R, I noted all the stuff I had done to comply with this supposed requirement. They still rejected my revisions. But I think many people are taking these instructions to heart, and it's kind of become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
What the others have said here. Plus, potential for embarrassment aside, it's probably not the best use of an aspiring authors limited time. Better to spend it writing. I'm not saying that participating in social media platforms you enjoy isn't a good thing, but the low-hanging fruit is long harvested there, especially for unknown writers.

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, there were some early blog adopters (like John Scalzi) who published a first novel on their blogs, chapter by chapter. Scalzi, at least, eventually got a book deal out of it, and Old Man's War launched his very successful career as a SF writer.

It didn't hurt that Scalzi had background in journalism (or something along those lines) already either. I think he had people who knew who he was before he even started blogging.

It's going to be much, much harder to get traction doing that now, even if your book is brilliant and you have a knack for blogging. Even established authors with well-reviewed books with decent sales don't have the kinds of followers Scalzi's blog still boasts (and he mentioned some time back that his blog has lost followers in recent years, because there are so many other ways for people to follow their favorite authors online). Social media and the endless parade of distractions on the internet, not to mention blog saturation, means unknown people on the internet are far more likely to get tens of followers instead of thousands (let alone tens of thousands).

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'd feel so silly doing that. I didn't even tell anyone I'd written anything until I got offers!

I've been blogging for years, and built up enough of a following that I was paid to moderate panels at book conferences, but before being published it would never have occurred to me to promote an unpublished manuscript. :e2shrug: (And even then my blogging had nothing to do with my offer.)

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I’m a journalist, and I’ve had writers contact me to ask me to “promote” or “publicize” their unpublished books. One guy suggested an article in the paper would help him get an agent. We have a system for covering self-published books, of which there are tons (even just counting the local ones). So I try to tell these people as gently as possible to go get published in whichever way works for them, and then come back and we’ll talk. (And when you come back, please don’t tell me you want to “collaborate on marketing” your book. Ads cost money. Editorial content is not “marketing.”)

I’ve heard of books that were popular in contests like Pitch Wars creating such buzz that they got huge deals; perhaps that, like Wattpad, is a source of this belief. But nothing generates buzz randomly. I also get literally dozens of book publicist emails every day (most touting self-published books), and every single one touts the book as buzz-worthy and ground-breaking. I don’t open most of them. You want to make me take notice, send me a physical book through the mail (but, y’know, check our guidelines first).

I can understand the urge to tell everybody about your book. I wrote a bunch of books before the first sale, and every time I finished a ms., I thought I’d done something amazing. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. But now, having seen the sheer volume of books out there (via my job), I know the truly amazing accomplishment is writing something people want to read.

Right now I’ve done almost all the work on a book that’s slated to be published in a year, and it’s killing me not to be able to talk about it and post the cover and so forth. But I’m waiting. Trade publishing teaches a person patience. When I do start talking, I know I’ll be entering a very, very crowded arena and I’ll need all the support I can get from publisher, agent, friends, etc.