Finished, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my book ... again!
You know how you get it done the first time and then you realize you're 20,000 words shorter than industry preferences? Everyone's been there, I'm sure.
So yeah, I expanded the ending, didn't let it wrap up so quickly or neatly at first, and tinkered around in a few other places that I thought could use it.
And the timing was perfect, because it had almost finished moving through my writing group. The pressure to submit six new pages every two weeks (not a lot, I know) was just enough to keep me writing my extra chapters so that the group wouldn't get to the gap I was filling before I'd filled it. They'd almost gotten to the point where I was adding chapters when I started, so I only had a few pages lead on them when I started adding pages. Just the right amount of deadline pressure, thanks.
I'm going to give another copy to my beta reader (Who honestly is my mom, bless her heart, and who DID tell me I'd rushed the ending the first time, but I ignored her. Kids!) and let it finish its progress through the writing group, and then I'm going to stop tinkering and get back to querying. Because of COURSE I queried too soon the first time. (Again, who doesn't?)
I'm going to laugh my ass off if I come back again and decide to tear it apart and start over or something. I want to be done with this one and on to the next. It may never be my first published book, but I want it to be my first book, as compared to my only book, and that means it's time to start on the next one.

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar experience earlier this year. It wasn't that my book was too short, but I read a series of blog posts by KM Weiland on developing a character arc, and realized I had cut my MC's journey short, so she never actually became the better version of herself that the story was setting her up to be. So I wrote another 15,000 words or so, making the ending much more epic, and I think it will be more the kind of ending that readers expect from my story. BUUUT, I am also eager to get this book marked "finished" and out on the rest of its journey (and start on the next one), so I'm getting some betas now, and hopefully I can start agent-hunting by the end of the summer.

Good luck to you!

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, and good luck!

I had the same experience with the book I just finished. it was rounding out at just under 70k, which is... a little short for its genre. Had some beta readers read it and now it's expanded to 80k, haha. It happens.

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
Congratulations on finishing your rewrite. Rewriting isn't easy, especially knowing when to stop rewriting. Good luck on your querying.

Status
Not open for further replies.