Midsommar

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it with a group of friends. Such a strange movie. Lots to digest I feel, and definitely a bunch of symbolism I KNOW I missed. Anyone else see it?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Eep. I really want to see it because the trailer is so good, but your post reminds me of how I felt about Hereditary (which I thought was awful). Would you say Midsommar was actually scary?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
No, Midsommar wasn't scary. Creepy, yes. No jump scares, but it is more gory and realistic with its gore. There is one scene that is pretty graphic but you are kind of worked up to knowing something crazy might happen and can look away (I did). There's a few gross things that are implied but not outright shown (hard to say without getting a bit into spoilers). It's honestly an artsy/ art house film. It's something I'm glad I saw and it stuck with my friends and I but not something I plan on watching again.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I finally saw this, and the three hour director's cut no less.

Hmm, I'm a little ambivalent but overall I really enjoyed it. There are some directors out there right now like Ben Wheatley and Yorgos Lathinmos who make genuinely wft movies, I don't this Midsommar classifies as this. It's actually pretty straightforward, and (at least in the director's cut) everything is foreshadowed extensively. There were few moments that were unexpected, and the 'authentic paganism' was kinda messy. But I liked how it took it's time with everything and it kept me consistently engaged. I thought Dani quietly stole the show the whole movie. And it was nice how it took its time with everything.

SVenus

Registered
Reaction score
Loved Midsommar. My reaction after leaving the theater was somewhat mixed. There was lots to take in, but the more I thought about the movie the more I appreciated it. It really sticks with you.

I'm interested in seeing the Director's Cut. Did anyone see both versions? Is the DC worth it?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the Director's Cut. Did anyone see both versions? Is the DC worth it?

The people I went with said the directors cuts adds more rituals and a few extra scenes that makes Christian seem like a jerk (some of them pretty funny). Slows down the pace drastically, but since I sort of enjoyed the slowness of the movie I kinda liked it. But then dang that was a loooooong movie.

SVenus

Registered
Reaction score
The people I went with said the directors cuts adds more rituals and a few extra scenes that makes Christian seem like a jerk (some of them pretty funny). Slows down the pace drastically, but since I sort of enjoyed the slowness of the movie I kinda liked it. But then dang that was a loooooong movie.

Yeah, but since it's already pretty slow, I guess 25 more minutes won't be that noticeable. I'm glad there's more fleshing out of Christian as a jerk. Looking forward to it!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I checked on the TVTropes WMG page, and someone floated the theory that the Hårga aren't traditional pagans but rather reconstructionists from the New Age movement in the 60's. This isn't so much headcanon for me but canon.

SVenus

Registered
Reaction score
I checked on the TVTropes WMG page, and someone floated the theory that the Hårga aren't traditional pagans but rather reconstructionists from the New Age movement in the 60's. This isn't so much headcanon for me but canon.

Yeah, so did I. There's lots of stuff in the film which becomes enhanced with a healthy doze of headcannon.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Slow, plodding, and a real mess. Not scary, not interesting, just a whole lot of meh.