Another Judge Protecting Yet Another Rapist

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As has become a sad norm, another judge has protetced an accused rapist, because he's another good kid, with a good future ahead of him.

Family court judge James Troiano in New Jersey ruled a 16-year-old accused of raping a girl the same age should not be tried as an adult because he comes from a good family and is "clearly a candidate for not just college but probably for a good college,”

Someone needs to reeducate these judges. Good kids don't rape and rapists need to go to jail and it's the victims who are the ones to be protected.

Link 1 Teen Vogue

Link 2 NYT

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable -- luckily, the appeals court is not having this bullshit, and the case is going before a regular gj.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it this morning on Twitter and I'm still so pissed off about this - this is one of the reasons, victims do not report their assault or their rape.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I am still boiling mad after reading the NYT article. If I posted what would like to do to the judge, the rapist, and his friends, I would get banned from AW.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the NYT link in the OP:
One of the most notorious was in 2016, when a judge in California sentenced a Stanford University student to six months in jail after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman. After an intense public backlash, California voters recalled the judge.
That's good to know. Maybe that fact should go out as a bulletin to every judge in the country.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'He can go to a college, maybe even a good college'.
Is this where frat-boy rapists come from? Some serious bud-nipping should be going on.
And, if he's under-age, are his records going to be sealed to 'protect his future'? Because colleges should be warned.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this article, too. Disgusting judge!

Hope the appeals court overturned that 'verdict'!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Appellate Division ha agreed the case needs to go to Superiror Court for trial and they critcised the judge saying
Troiano overstepped his authority by making "an independent assessment of the juvenile's culpability."

Even more ihfuriating, Troiano is retired and just fills in as needed.

Link 1 ABC

Link 2 Percolately-This link is to a more entertainment site, but it has good coverage of the story and includes tweets and quotes, including the Simcha Fisher quote previously referrenced.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I don't think "has become" a sad norm is quite the right way of putting it. I think judges have been doing this for aeons--at least for the kinds of rapists who remind white, male college graduates of themselves or of some of their peers back in their high school or college days.

It's part of that whole, "Hey, we all know men are animals who can't control themselves, so women who choose not to live diminished lives have only themselves to blame" narrative.

Maybe the good thing about all this is we're hearing about at least some of the most egregious cases now, and a significant number of people are responding with outrage instead of shrugs.

Doesn't stop it from curdling my insides with rage

From the NYT link in the OP:That's good to know. Maybe that fact should go out as a bulletin to every judge in the country.

Sadly, this only happens when a story goes viral (I guess that's the modern-day equivalent of front-page national news). When the time comes to vote in local elections on whether or not to retain judges in our county courts, I generally have no idea what kind of rulings they make or how biased they are against different groups of people.

Last edited: