• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you hand write your work?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Not anymore, no. For years, I had this idea that I thought better if I wrote and edited by hand, andefore each writing session, I would type up the previous day's work...which I hated.

I switching to doing everything on the computer maybe in 2015, and I'm very glad I did. I definitely work faster now.

But I do like having a notebook for planning and brainstorming.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm writing: non-fiction is usually straight to the computer, but novels? Novels are written by hand; only shorts are written direct to the PC. Writing by hand, especially when using a fountain pen, works much better for me. I don't like typing up, but use that as a first pass edit then it's back to pen and paper.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
I carry a notebook with me in my bag and will often use it during my lunch break at work. I don't usually write drafts in it, though; I found that when I write by hand I tend to be much briefer and less descriptive with my writing, which isn't really what I want. I'm not sure what it is about handwriting that causes this, though. Instead, I tend to do most of my plotting and outlining in this notebook, which I then have with me when I write my drafts on my computer.

If I have a burst of inspiration for a scene I'll jot some of it down to avoid forgetting but the vast majority of my writing is typed.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Sometimes I do, but it isn't my normal practice. I'll write things out by hand when I'm away from my personal laptop or as a way to end writer's block.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
I learnt to touch type about 20 years ago - and so don't have to think about where the keys are. Much like with driving, I can think about the job in hand, rather than the mechanics of achieving it. If you haven't learnt then I would highly recommend it, it will save you so much time! I work in IT, so I type pretty much all day, everyday, so the idea of writing anything by hand seems totally alien to me! If I need to make a note when an idea strikes and I am away from my computer, then I write in the "note" app on my iphone.

Furthermore, my handwriting is so messy and I do so much editing that whatever I was working on would soon descend in an unintelligible mess! (more so! :))

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using voice-recognition software with a computer. I knew someone who was dyslexic who found it really useful - and if you have got carpal tunnel, then it would be a lot less painful (unless of course, you enjoying suffering for your art! :) )

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
For me, physical activity tends to promote creativity. Hand writing is slightly better than typing at a computer, but if I'm really stuck, I need to get up and walk around.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I’ll add one more comment, which is that I love to edit by hand. One of my favorite things in the world is to print out a draft, sit down with a pen, and go to town.

:e2coffee:

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
The novel I'm writing right now is handwritten and I love, love, love the way it looks and feels and I love seeing all of my writing in this gorgeous simple leather notebook (hey, Michaels, stop selling the cheesy Live, Laugh, Love galaxy notebooks, go back to these simple leather ones), when I travel to Chicago and Albuquerque I can easily pull out the notebook and get going without having to worry about battery power or internet connection, my creativity is through the roof somehow when I use pen and paper, but man, does it take ages. Just writing the 65k I wrote before I had to pause to start outlining the thing took me almost a year to write, whereas with typing, my typing speed is 90-100wpm. And then there's the whole typing it up on the computer when I'm done debacle and oof. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it.

That said, I'll probably finish this one out handwritten because it IS making it easier for me to keep writing and not edit or get distracted. Notebook comes out, Spotify starts playing, internet is only for research, writing happens.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using voice-recognition software with a computer. I knew someone who was dyslexic who found it really useful - and if you have got carpal tunnel, then it would be a lot less painful (unless of course, you enjoying suffering for your art! :) )

It doesn't really work well for a lot of the writing I do — technical writing, and scholarly writing that uses dead languages as well multiple modern languages.

But many writers do use either Dragon Dictate or macOS's built-in dictation service.

New Pastoralist

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting discussion. I'm just beginning and am playing with different approaches. I find myself going back and forth between computer and handwritten. Not too long ago I was given the advice to write fast, bad first drafts, so whatever helps me get the idea out. Sometimes I have an idea that I just need to get out right now! Then I need the computer because I'm faster, but I have to avoid the edit-as-I-type pitfall. Some ideas are vague and handwriting helps me slow down and think it through. When I hit a wall, I can sit, staring off into space with a pen and paper until I'm ready to write again. If I'm in front of the computer I start checking e-mail, Facebook or worse yet, editing what I just wrote, and I don't move on. I find myself going back and forth between computer and paper on the same piece.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I've written whole 100,000-word first drafts by hand, and when I'm done, I type them on my computer, on Word, so yes, definitely. I am writing 3 books by hand right now. :)

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I don't do this since I got my first computer like 10 years ago, but before I had a laptop I did all my writing on paper. I have been in a bit of a funk lately so that might be something to consider. I'll let you know if I have positive results.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
No. If I change my mind on a character name or place, it takes a couple of seconds to find and replace on a computer. I would have to reread my entire work otherwise just to find the words I am looking to fix or replace. In the end, you have to send in a typed copy of your manuscript to a publisher or to publish yourself online.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I used to, until I started the editing phase and obviously wanted to make a lot of changes. And then I became so sad because my beautifully handwritten story felt no good anymore, that I never did it again.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I don't do this since I got my first computer like 10 years ago, but before I had a laptop I did all my writing on paper. I have been in a bit of a funk lately so that might be something to consider. I'll let you know if I have positive results.

So I've been stuck on a scene for WEEKS, knowing the result and everything, but not knowing how to get it into words so I decided to give this a try (as noted by my reply yesterday) and it actually worked. I'm almost done with this scene or at least the bare bones for it, so I totally 100% recommend trying this if you're having writer's block for a scene or maybe even a few, but as a whole, I wouldn't do this. I write so much slower than i type it doesn't work for me. If it works for you, though, then I say do what works.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No. If I change my mind on a character name or place, it takes a couple of seconds to find and replace on a computer. I would have to reread my entire work otherwise just to find the words I am looking to fix or replace. In the end, you have to send in a typed copy of your manuscript to a publisher or to publish yourself online.

Writing by hand doesn't mean you can't then type it up, and do all the things you've described here. That typing is the first round of revision for me.