Just in Time July - 500 words per day writing/edit - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have done nothing for a few days, and I need to, because there are a couple of agents I want to query who need that synopsis. Whyyyyyy is it so hard when it's your own book??

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations :hi:

Saoirse - How's you're recovery coming along?

Black Knight - What's you're total word count down to now? Somewhere in the 300k mark?

Didn't have a very productive week. Only about 800 words in total. I guess every word counts though, so let's see what next week has in store for me :)

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations :hi:

Saoirse - How's you're recovery coming along?

Black Knight - What's you're total word count down to now? Somewhere in the 300k mark?

Didn't have a very productive week. Only about 800 words in total. I guess every word counts though, so let's see what next week has in store for me :)

300k? I wish! :) Alas, I am still floundering around the 360k mark as I look to huntdown unnecessary text. I have rewritten my opening, which is a plus. I've also been working on the word count spreadsheet. Once it's had a bit of testing, I'll share it for everyone who would like a copy.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have a 2-page synopsis that maaaaybe doesn't suck? If it continues not to suck when I read it tomorrow morning, I'll send it to a few agents.

Whee! :e2cheer:

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
Finally sent 3rd in the current series to the publisher. Seemed to take forever because I added a short story and excerpt from the next book to it. Struggled a bit with those.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I have come to the conclusion that the reason it's taken me three days to finish this chapter is that I really like the character who is slated to die at the end of it. I'm also thinking this means it's absolutely the right thing to kill them off.

How's everything going?

ETA: finally ghosted the fella. dun dun duuuun, END OF CHAPTER.

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
A week to go, definitely not hitting my mark this month.

LIZ and RED - Best of luck with your submittals, let us know how it works out.
OSG - Sorry for your loss :) - but if it's ultimately going to be for the better I salute your courage.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I think I'm losing my mind. I could have sworn I posted in here recently.

Zan75 - Sorry to hear, but August is a clean slate. :) My recovery is going okay - I now have a lovely, huge orthotic to wear to help my Achilles' tendon heal. I'm on the last day of my adjustment period. It feels a lot better than it did originally, so that's good. :)

OSG - Killing off characters you like is one of the toughest things about writing. RIP character. You will be missed.

redstick - Welcome and good luck with your submission!

Liz - Awesome! Good luck with it!

BlackKnight - Good luck with the whittling it down process. I once had a 399k novel to edit down and it was brutal. It is now at 128k. You can do this. :)

I wrote 1,907 words yesterday and won Camp. :)

I also have 2 more editing jobs right on heels of the two I've been working on. One of them is almost done, due tomorrow. Some months are slow for editing, and some months...mama mia, I'm busy. ;) Fun times.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the month is just about at an end. Any last days drives for a goal?
I think I'll be ending the month having added about 4k new words. Not bad, but looks like I'll be missing the target 5k.

Saoirse - Best wishes for a quick turn around time.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've had a very lean few days / weeks so definitely won't get close to last month's total. I do, however, have a lot of post-it notes on my wall that kinda sorta possibly make a plot. Perhaps.

Best of luck everyone for the last day push!

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Last day of the month!

After completing my initial (rather conservative) target, I am now pretty close to hitting my second target - from an editing page perspective. I'm going to miss my word count target by a couple of thousand.

Saoirse - I've no idea how you cut out that many words! I've managed to trim 20k this month, but there's lots more to go! I'm down to 354k and without seriously diluting the plot/characters, I'm not sure how I can get it down to a standard novel length.

My plan is to finish the version so that it is the story that I set out to write. Then see if I can get it down to a length where I can split into two parts (with appropriate break point). After that, I don't know - I'll probably consider beta readers before I decide what to do next.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I clocked out with a serendipitous 777 yesterday, which took me over the 11k mark for the month. Not as much as I'd hoped but not bad.