What to do with partial manuscript submitted to one editor

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
Three years ago, my then-agent proposed a kernel of an idea that I turned into a partial manuscript (40,000 words), which he submitted to my publisher as the option book. The publisher rejected it, although this wasn't a surprise, since my original editor had left the imprint, and my new editor was never really into me.

Since then, I left my agent and wrote a whole new book - queried it, received many full requests, but no offers. I paid for two edits - one from a former agent who was surprised no one wanted it. Despair set in. I did many revisions and felt like it was a good, solid effort. Eventually, I gave up querying it. I thought maybe it wasn't marketable. I started on a few other projects and gave up, convinced I'm the worst writer of all time.

I then came back to this old manuscript because, well, an agent came up with the idea, so it must be marketable (right?). Plus it's halfway done, although I plan to scrap half of what's there based on feedback from that one editor.

I guess my question is, if I decide to revise/finish this manuscript, should I reach out to my old agent, since he did put a lot of work into it? I honestly don't want to do this since it was painful enough breaking up with him a few months ago. Or should I just query new agents? Do I mention that it was submitted to one editor, and if so, does this make it a lot less appealing? And in that case, should I even bother finishing it?

Curious what other people think...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I guess my question is, if I decide to revise/finish this manuscript, should I reach out to my old agent, since he did put a lot of work into it? I honestly don't want to do this since it was painful enough breaking up with him a few months ago. Or should I just query new agents? Do I mention that it was submitted to one editor, and if so, does this make it a lot less appealing? And in that case, should I even bother finishing it?

Curious what other people think...

This is somewhat similar to my own situation.

No, I wouldn't reach out to your old agent. That relationship is done. Unless they shopped the MS to other editors, you owe them nothing.

The option refusal is knottier, and I've had mixed advice there. Will be interested to see what others tell you.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with the option refusal scenario (yet). But if I were you, and I liked the book and actually wanted to revise the book, I would do that and query it. I’m not sure how you’d deal with the one previous rejection in your query. If you’ve done an extensive rewrite since that rejection, maybe just mention it briefly. But definitely discuss it in the Call. It’s just one editor, which is why I wouldn’t give up on the book, but the new agent needs to know.