Not open for further replies.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Final update:

[] 20,000 words on Survivor for Camp ~Changed goal to 10,000 words and made it with 10,531 words done!
[] Read and review at least one ARC ~Finished reading ARC but book hasn't released yet
[] Clean office ~Started; I'm in an orthotic which means I have to limit my up and down the stairs stuff currently, alas

Overall, not too shabby considering I had three editing projects hit at the same time.;)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Final update. And apparently I'm wordy in my updates :p

So the month didn't go as well as I might have hoped, but it went better than it looked like it was going to a week ago.

I started work on the second story. Then, when I opened it on Tuesday to finish it up, I went to check the allowed word count... and discovered the market had closed early. I don't know whether they got all the stories they needed or what (the site had some glitchiness) but.. yes. And there was no point continuing editing the story because it was for a very specific theme and no one else would even touch it. I won't completely bin it - I might be able to change the story elements - but for now it's been pushed grumpily aside. (Everything went wrong that way in little ways - car I was about to ring about got sold, headset broke, etc.)

Not counting that as a failed goal because I would have finished it. I was going to maybe do a flash piece instead, but looking over my available flash drafts, none of them appealed.

I did finish the draft of the new story. I also finally did some actual words on Haven, not just the map. Not many, but I should be able to get right back into it properly next month.

I missed doing one of my days - mostly laziness. Guilt hit me the next day, but that was a work day. I managed 20 mins before work, on the train in, breaks then... Basically I ran out of energy. I was too tired and by the end of the night was staring blankly with no ability to work on anything. My own fault, though I'm happy I at least tried to make up for it. Today I did my queries. I almost didn't, and I looked at the start of the novel and hated it, but at this point, I don't trust myself. So I sent them.

I used to use an app for my library, so I knew when I was out and about what books I owned (in case I needed to know, for instance, whether I had that particular one or not), but it was updated for newer phones and no longer works properly on my old phone. So I've been slowly putting all my books into LibraryThing instead (and did a whole bunch instead of writing, which is why I don't regret missing a writing day). For some books, I have to do it all manually - like my Agatha Christie's, which mostly do not have convenient barcodes to scan.

That meant I had to hold and look at my books quite a lot and actually felt like reading. So after finishing The Goblin Emperor, I read two Agatha Christies (Sleeping Murder and A Murder is Announced). I remembered whodunnit in both, but I still enjoy them for looking for the clues I might have missed on previous reads and that kind of thing. So failed to read 5 books, but given I'd read 0 halfway through the month, not bad! Didn't do any Hugo voting though :S

1. Read five books. 3/5
2. Finish June's story and edit it in time for anthology (end of month). Written, but not edited.
3. Draft one new story. Done!
4. Edit flash story in time for deadline (14th).Yes!
5. Game planning. Yes :)
6. Query S&M. Yes.
7. Continue writing Haven (and create map). Finished the map, done a few more words.
8. Decide on what novel to edit next. Alyssa.
9. Write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week. Each day, yes, but failed one dedicated writing day.
10. Bake a thing. Citrus and blueberry drizzle cake (slice).

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Final check-in!

I didn't finish plotting the thing, but got it started, so that's still progress. Still waiting on the collection to go live on Kobo, but since that's on them, I'm calling it done :tongue

[X] Camp NaNoWriMo: Finish pulling together my short story collection and publish it.
[X] Finish the rewrite I started last month.
[X] Finish the revision for PoV3 in my 85K90 book.
[X] Pick something to start plotting.
[-] Plot the thing.
[X] Finish Dan Brown course.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I overshot a few nd undershot a few but had a reasonably good month. August's goals are firming up.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
July was a disappointing month for completing goals. Losing two weeks to travel and caring for my mom pretty much blew a hole in my plans, but Real Life happens, and there's not a thing you can do about it but put your head down and press on. I got back into town Monday afternoon and started rehearsals for my next show Tuesday morning. I've been rehearsing 10-6 every day since then, with an hour's commute tacked onto either end, which makes me think August is going to be all about running as fast as I can just to keep up. I fell well short of my modest Camp goal, but at least I finally got the galleys done for Book Three and sent them off to the formatter for finalization yesterday. All the stuff for Book 4 is going to have to wait until later.

Speaking of August - I'll be posting the August goals thread later this evening, when I get home from work. I'll link to it in this thread once it's up and running.

[ ] Camp NaNo: write 8k words on Book 5 of my series - 3,723 out of 8,000
[x] Read 3 books - 3 out of 3
[ ] Exercise 1 hour a week - 2 out of 4

[ ] Determine publishing/promo schedule for Book 3 (estimated mid-August release)
[x] Approve cover design for Book 3
[x] Approve galleys for Book 3

[ ] Review text of Book 4 for republishing in October
[ ] Rewrite front/back matter on Book 4
[ ] Submit Book 4 to formatter/designer

[x] Put work on Book 5 into chronological order

Status
Not open for further replies.