What's the Wildest Power You've Given Someone?

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Scifi and fantasy writers- we all know we've made some wacky characters. What I'm talking about here, specifically, is special abilities. What's the absolute CRAZIEST thing you've ever given one of your characters the ability to do? Mine would probably have to be one of my antagonists, Carmine Moreno. He has tuned his own brain to the frequency of a dimension layered on top of our own, where energies exist both within and without of bodies. He uses this connection to remotely pilot the bodies of his experiments, which range everywhere from regular people to serpents made from corpses. Yeah.

What about you guys?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to give a character the ability to make certain demographics decide to not turn out on election day.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
In my Sisyphus story last year, I had an eldritch abomination who uses the power to travel through time in order to get drunk & high all day.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I once started a story about a girl who could control fire. (Quasi-medieval setting.) Nothing too wild, she made herself useful in the kitchen, and smithy, and putting out fires. The 'wildest' part is, at the end, when her best friend has died, she goes to the stone covering his tomb and uses all her powers to set the stone on fire. Not a giant blazing fire, but that stone will burn for eons. (Imagine that the heat of lava is gradually released, as the stone is broken apart, a grain at a time.)

It is, like all my stuff, a vague outline and a couple of scenes.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I an unfinished-and-likely-to-stay-that-way medievalish fantasy, I have characters with powers that divide into two camps, those affecting the physical world (which are forbidden and you'd better hide that you have it) and those that are entirely invisible in use. None of them was terribly unusual. I suppose the strangest was the young man who could generate and direct heat, which he mostly used for the comfort and convenience of himself and his friends. And to set things on fire as needed.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My powers aren't as "wild" as some of yours (plus the 1st one's more like a curse than powers) but here are some in my MG SF:

1) I gave a twelve-year-old boy the "curse"of turning into a alligator creature when he gets too emotional. Luckily, he and the inventor he lives with found something that helps: a dust that calms him down.

2) I have a man who can understand his friend who thinks he's a goat. Err, long story short, the friend is the clone of the President of the United States (a fictional president). Something went wrong with the cloning process and now he thinks he's a goat. The clone communicates with "baas" instead of English, but the man who is friends with the clone, learned how to understand him. He also says he's learning kangaroo, but my MC can't tell if he's joking or not. The man who understands the clone, also taught his adopted son, who used to be a rat, how to speak goat as well.

Yeah. There is a lot of weird stuff going on in this series, but I think my targeted group (MG) will find it enjoyable. ;)

EDIT: @Frimble3 I love that image of the gravestone burning for eons. That's so creative and powerful!

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, and my (trunked forever) comedy novel had two cops in an alternate dimension travel to our dimension to discover rollerblades and then take them back to their dimension in order to become gritty superheros. Any sufficiently advanced technology (like inline skates) is indistinguishable from magic.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
One of my WiPs, Papillon, has magical girls whose powers are derived from their deepest passion.

One of said heroines' power...is apples. An infinite supply of magical apples from her costume's apron. One can eat the apples to heal and recover from magical harm. Or the apples can be tossed into the air to release a rain of healing energy.

Or she can throw them as guided projectiles that explode with magical force.

(The kicker is...even she thinks it's a stupid power.)

Kojiro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lrdeney.wordpress.com
A Hellfire whip. Damned thing melts people the moment they're struck with it. And yes, this ability belongs to my protagonist. I enjoy describing its effects every time.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
One character has the power to bless or curse with a word, and whatever he says WILL come to pass. Unfortunately he has no control over it, so may end up hurting someone without intending to.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The antagonist of my Sisyphus story last year, being a lawn bowls lady possessed by a primordial Akkadian demiurge, basically had all the powers of God, but rarely unleashed them, except to irritate various world leaders throughout history.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters has the ability to belch on demand (with the help of beer).

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never given my characters a crazy power because I want my work to be as realistic as possible. There's no harm in doing crazy for fun but I tend to dislike silly powers in stories where you feel the writers was just trying to impress with their weirdoness. lol

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never given my characters a crazy power because I want my work to be as realistic as possible. There's no harm in doing crazy for fun but I tend to dislike silly powers in stories where you feel the writers was just trying to impress with their weirdoness. lol

Same here. My characters are weird enough without the need for special powers. :)

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
The story I wrote during Camp Nano last July had a sapient planet and the people living on it were able to run long distances at super fast speeds (like 500 miles in half an hour fast).They didn't use cars or any sort of mechanical means of transportation out of respect for the planet and they do communicate with the planet too.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
The ability to move people to another dimension. Life in the other dimension is much better than it is here, so it's almost like she's doing them a favor, except they can't see their friends or family, until they're moved back and try to tell their story, upon which everyone thinks they're crazy.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
The psychic gift of total empathy, that when engaged, had them mentally become the subject they were engaging, their baseline personality completely subsumed. Reversion could be difficult because it required isolation and the willingness of the assumed personality to disengage. The original personality was lost long before, when their power emerged but before they understood or knew how to control it.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my WiPs, Papillon, has magical girls whose powers are derived from their deepest passion.

One of said heroines' power...is apples. An infinite supply of magical apples from her costume's apron. One can eat the apples to heal and recover from magical harm. Or the apples can be tossed into the air to release a rain of healing energy.

Or she can throw them as guided projectiles that explode with magical force.

(The kicker is...even she thinks it's a stupid power.)

I would so read this.

I had a character who could see, and sometimes summon, ghosts, either out of the environment or out of people's subconscious.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In my adult SF one of my MCs has "inherited" his great-grandfather's memories. Basically he was born with the great-grandfather's memories. The great-grandfather was in a war so he knows all these survival and fighting technique. This helps the MC because he is a guard for a spaceship docking center.

Lcarver

Registered
Reaction score
I think the WEIRDEST would probably be the ability to steal other people's powers and give them to dogs. He has a pack of superpowered pooches.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot about my wildest one. In an epic fantasy I once wrote, a woman had the ability to turn any piece of paper into origami butterflies that would follow her every command.

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
I was fourteen at that time and had just learned about the antimatter and the consequences of it touching the matter, also there might be a whole antimatter universe out there.
I wrote a story about a boy and a girl, one from our universe, and one from the antimatter universe. they both posses tremendous powers and are sort of the representative of the respective universes. their destiny was to meet up and if they did it would be the end of the universe. of course, the universe itself seems to hate that idea and send various obstacles their way to prevent them.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In one of my Upper MG WIPs. A woman has the power to make licorice-smelling smoke come out of her hands. No idea where in my brain that came from. :Shrug:

LeviSweeney

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a little bit of fantasy where some of my friends who read my work said that this character or that character had cool powers. I had this one scene where this guy who's spying for the bad guys drops a magic rock into a bucket of water, which turns the water into what's basically a two-way video chat. I also gave this other character who was a magician the ability to throw a ball of energy into a body of water and generate a field of ice. He did it while he and his buddies were trying to capture this boat they were chasing.