Male New Adult MC's and the industry

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn't go here, mods! I don't know where to put it....

I just read a newsletter from a NYT editor that said NA is primarily read by women, and that female leads are popular. Am I setting myself up for failure with a male protagonist? Can I even be successful in NA as a male author?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To answer both questions:

1. No.

B) Depends on your definition of "successful".

Write the best damned story you can, is all you can do. It'll sell on its own merits, regardless of the genders involved.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Satyesu, this is another one of those times where I'd suggest:

1) Just write. Getting that draft on paper at this point may be more important than worrying about genre at this point.

2) Read read read. If you're reading books across a variety of genres (including NA), you'll be able to better determine if your book fits in with other NA books for marketing purposes. You also may have a general fiction book with a 22 year old protagonist.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I just read a newsletter from a NYT editor that said NA is primarily read by women, and that female leads are popular. Am I setting myself up for failure with a male protagonist? Can I even be successful in NA as a male author?

New Adult is a very slim category at this point, if it can even be said to still really exist. Stop worrying about labels and write.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
What cornflake said--New Adult mostly just exists as a sub-category of romance. Don't worry about trying to fit into it or any other category at this point--you can't decide where your story belongs until it's actually written.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Satyesu, this is another one of those times where I'd suggest:

1) Just write. Getting that draft on paper at this point may be more important than worrying about genre at this point.

2) Read read read. If you're reading books across a variety of genres (including NA), you'll be able to better determine if your book fits in with other NA books for marketing purposes. You also may have a general fiction book with a 22 year old protagonist.

+1

Seems to me you have a choice here.

Do you want to chase the market and write something that will be popular above all other considerations? That's likely to be a losing game. You know how sunlight takes about 8 1/2 minutes to reach Earth? By the time a book hits shelves and you see it, it's been possibly a year or more since the story was subbed and accepted, let alone written (add on possibly another year or several here). So, barring insider information, you're chasing an illusion, like the apparent position of the sun.

Do you want to write you story in your head right now, to the best of your ability - something that speaks to you, that you yourself would want to read? Then start writing. Keep reading, of course, and be ready to consider how you want to pitch it, but just start writing.

Either way, you can't sell a story unless you have a story to sell.

(Again, I might suggest you seek a writing mentor; IMHO, there seems to be something holding you up/back or something in particular you're seeking, that you keep finding reasons not to start writing just yet, and that may require more intense and personalized answers for the breakthrough you need. I can't help feeling that we're not quite understanding what you're asking for.)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
New Adult is a very slim category at this point, if it can even be said to still really exist. Stop worrying about labels and write.

I had no idea what 'New Dult" was and had to google it.

IMO it's easy to get overly caught up in minutia - it's a distraction, and what we should be doing is writing our stories.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
When your story is finished (assuming this is the same story I've seen your reference elsewhere), you won't query it as New Adult. That is (was? it may be over) a very specific subgenre of romance.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I wrote a novel with an 18-year-old male protagonist and it's not terribly successful. But I don't regret writing it--it's hands down my best work ever and just won an award.

Digging deeper: why wasn't it successful? Who the heck knows? My publisher's marketing director quit a few weeks after it came out, and I think her assistant's had a hard time taking over for her (for instance she told me she'd send me a press release I could use about the award, and it's been like two weeks now), so there's that. My first chapter was confusing with too many characters in it--multiple Amazon reviewers say so--so there's that. (I really regret that.) I tried to market but my connections are crap, didn't know anyone anything close to famous so I could hit them up for endorsements--so there's that.

I'm now writing one with an 18-year-old female protagonist. (Not in response to the response to my last one--this one was next on the docket anyway.) I guess I could report back in like 3 years when we see how it does. :D

I will give you 2 pieces of advice though: 1) know your genre other than New Adult. Every book has multiple genres. (Example: inspirational historical new adult romance. That's 4 genres right there. Book industry people love to hear a list like that b/c it tells them just where to place the book and who to market it to. Specificity.) Read books in that genre/those genres. You want to be writing something you would like to read, in a genre you have a feel for. 2) The final classification of your book will be the publisher's to decide. My novel mentioned above could've gone 3 ways: Young Adult, New Adult, or general market fiction (for adults, but if you go calling it Adult that's another ballgame...) They ended up going with general market, for reasons. I dunno if it was the right call (I really have no idea), but it was theirs.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
i love male protagonists. Always have, and would have as a college student. Did, as a college student, in fact. Unless the MC was jerk or completely clueless, but if he was the sort of male MC that I really liked, because he was decent and well-meaning and smart and all those important things, I would read it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved the derailing posts. I'm locking this thread until the Novels mods have a spare moment.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reopening thread. Note that New Adult and Young Adult are different markets. Since the OP is asking about NA, let's stick to that. YA discussion can be found in the YA forum.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I associate the "New Adult" label almost exclusively with university/college-set self-published romance. It's huge on Kindle. One of my favourite books is a romance that's both NA and self-pubbed, so I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I've been working on and off on a non-romance project that's NA with both male and female POVs, but at the moment I'm a. too busy to finish it, and b. not sure who would buy it. However, that doesn't mean I plan to give up. I'm going to finish it (in about 2048 at this rate!), and then worry about publishers.

Edited to add: It's probably not the kind of book you're wanting to write, but plenty of successful NA romances are either written - or rewritten as a sort of "sequel" - only from the guy's point of view. I'm thinking of books like Breakable by Tammara Webber, which was a NYT bestseller.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Seriously, how could we even begin to answer that? Just write the book, and then write the next book.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
+1
I might suggest you seek a writing mentor; IMHO, there seems to be something holding you up/back or something in particular you're seeking, that you keep finding reasons not to start writing just yet, and that may require more intense and personalized answers for the breakthrough you need. I can't help feeling that we're not quite understanding what you're asking for.)

A mentor would be fantastic. I've never finished a novel, so thanks, all, for the advice. Where/how might I find a mentor? Is that a specific career?

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
A mentor would be fantastic. I've never finished a novel, so thanks, all, for the advice. Where/how might I find a mentor?
Be an active member of writing communities and have someone with experience under their belt be willing to help you out.

Well, I wrote a novel with an 18-year-old male protagonist and it's not terribly successful. But I don't regret writing it--it's hands down my best work ever and just won an award.

Digging deeper: why wasn't it successful? Who the heck knows?

That is the thing, because just writing a good story doesn't guarantee success. I've read plenty of books over the years that I'd never heard of before and were simply amazing, so much better than [current popular thing] but nobody knew about. Maybe the publisher screwed up the marketing, maybe despite being really good, it hit right at the tail of a glut of X and so just got overlooked, maybe the stars were all wrong and it just got overlooked.

Not to mention, you are always going to be competing for shelf space with other books. The market is crowded and it's difficult to stand out except for those lightning in a bottle cases.

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
That is the thing, because just writing a good story doesn't guarantee success. I've read plenty of books over the years that I'd never heard of before and were simply amazing, so much better than [current popular thing] but nobody knew about. Maybe the publisher screwed up the marketing, maybe despite being really good, it hit right at the tail of a glut of X and so just got overlooked, maybe the stars were all wrong and it just got overlooked.

Marketing is something I'm not looking forward to. I might hire somebody to read passages from my book and post it on YouTube.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Be an active member of writing communities and have someone with experience under their belt be willing to help you out.

Not to mention, you are always going to be competing for shelf space with other books. The market is crowded and it's difficult to stand out except for those lightning in a bottle cases.

50 Shades of Grey was horribly written (even women I talked to who loved the books agree with this) yet it clearly got the sales and inspired writers. I knew a girl who decided to write a romance novel strictly because of that book series. So, yes, I agree with your comments.

MKnightium

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's all depending on perspective and opinion. Write the book you want to write; it'll always have an audience.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

I'll agree with others that have suggested that you just write your story as well as you are able, then either find an agent / publisher to get your title in front of potential buyers or market it yourself.

How do you define success though? Financial gain is nice, but in reality that type of success seems to be a crapshoot because there are (seemingly) endless variables that you cannot control. Your novel could sell spectacularly, get made into a successful movie, or run as a TV show... OR NOT. We all hope, but to a large extent success of that sort is out of our control, and trying to control something that's out of your reach will drive you crazy.

I've read extensively in my chosen genre for many decades, and write the stories that I would love to read. My books are doing ok in terms of sales, but I don't count on that money as essential income. I get a great deal of satisfaction from writing and getting my stories out there for others to read.

I suggest you think a little less about making millions off your book, and more about creating an intriguing story that's well told.