• Total voters

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think Kamala Harris did, hands down. Buttigieg did very well too, and Gillabrand made some good points.

Harris is the only one who took Biden on directly, and I think her answers were complete and to the point without going off on tangents.

I do wish more time had been spent on climate issues, but there are going to be many more of these things.

Sanders was mostly bland. Much of his thunder seems to be stolen now that he's not the only progressive in the mix. Biden's performance was lackluster, to say the least. I had a "drink spitting" moment when he said "The NRA is not the enemy, the gun manufacturers are." WTF, Joe! Who do you think the NRA is working for these days?

http://vpc.org/investigating-the-gun-lobby/blood-money/

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/13/593255356/how-americas-gun-industry-is-tied-to-the-nra

What in the hell was he playing at with that comment, really? It made him look like a pandering moron.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Kamala. I think she's still got work to do, but this is just a taste.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
What in the hell was he playing at with that comment, really? It made him look like a pandering moron.

I think he meant that comment to mean gun-owners--who used to be represented by the NRA. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt there, though, it just proves how out of step and out of touch he is. This ain't grandpa's political climate anymore.

Kamala did best last night, running away.

The best thing Marianne Williamson did is get one of her monologues set to the music of Twin Peaks.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: It fits so well. :roll:

I didn't know anything about her until the debate. When she went off on the world needs love, sadly, I questioned why she got a seat at the table. Is this going to be another spoiler candidate like Stein?

My .02 (and I don't know a lot about her), I'd say more vanity candidate than spoiler candidate. I think Tulsi Gabbard is more the spoiler candidate. That said, Tmp was the 2016 vanity candidate. The US electorate worships at the alter of celebrity.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
"That little girl was me."
Pretty sure that's one of those debate lines we will still be talking about years from now, a la "You're no Jack Kennedy."

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I saw her interviewed and she said she heard the question as, "would you give up your own private insurance?" The interviewer interrupted her and rudely pointed out "That's what you heard, but not what was asked" letting her then answer his question.

The thing is, that's how I heard the question too.

I didn't see it, but this is my understanding based on several sources.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I saw her interviewed and she said she heard the question as, "would you give up your own private insurance?" The interviewer interrupted her and rudely pointed out "That's what you heard, but not what was asked" letting her then answer his question.

The thing is, that's how I heard the question too.

That's how I heard the question, both nights. "Who here would abolish their private health insurance in favor of a government-run plan?" sounds to me like the candidates are being asked about their own insurance plans.

But it seems--at least from that article--that she's been inconsistent on the subject, even with the misinterpretation.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
One person not happy with Kamala's performance: April Ryan.

The stones are being thrown. As @KamalaHarris played the race card on @JoeBiden, it is coming back on her as people are taking a closer look @KamalaHarris prosecutorial record in the black community particularly as it relates to black men.

Outta respect for her, I'll hold my opinion except to say I don't agree with any of it.

But it seems--at least from that article--that she's been inconsistent on the subject, even with the misinterpretation.

I think that's a fair criticism.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like April Ryan, but she's wrong about Sen. Harris playing the race card.

Some people seemingly believe merely by mentioning race you must want to make White people feel bad.

Biden is a politician and every politician should have to account for the things they have done and the positions they have taken. Uncle Joe doesn't get grandfathered in to avoid the vetting process.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's how I heard the question, both nights. "Who here would abolish their private health insurance in favor of a government-run plan?" sounds to me like the candidates are being asked about their own insurance plans.

Harris is not going to have a perfect history. We need to be careful that any criticism is evaluated carefully. Hopefully she won't get bit by out of context sound bites.

One of my criticisms of Clinton's campaign was her failure to address the coal jobs comment: the next thing she said in the actual quote was something to the effect that new jobs for people in the coal industry were needed.

Another distortion was Bernie's constant claim she was in Goldman Sachs' pocket. Clinton could have countered that with the 10,000 Women campaign the Clinton Foundation and Goldman Sachs were partnering on. I don't know why she didn't.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Another distortion was Bernie's constant claim she was in Goldman Sachs' pocket. Clinton could have countered that with the 10,000 Women campaign the Clinton Foundation and Goldman Sachs were partnering on. I don't know why she didn't.

I think politicians and their handlers are always on the fence over whether it's better to address specific allegations head on, or whether doing so simply calls attention to said allegations and makes the candidate look defensive or reactive (and also distracted from talking about what they want to talk about).

Seems like whatever decision Democratic candidates make is decried later as the wrong call.

As opposed to the GOP, which can do no wrong with their strategy of accusing their opponents of doing exactly what what they themselves do and simply saying the other side are lying liars when called out on it.

People used to despise hypocrites, but no one seems to anymore.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think politicians and their handlers are always on the fence over whether it's better to address specific allegations head on, or whether doing so simply calls attention to said allegations and makes the candidate look defensive or reactive (and also distracted from talking about what they want to talk about).

Seems like whatever decision Democratic candidates make is decried later as the wrong call.

As opposed to the GOP, which can do no wrong with their strategy of accusing their opponents of doing exactly what what they themselves do and simply saying the other side are lying liars when called out on it.

People used to despise hypocrites, but no one seems to anymore.

The reason I say those two particular attacks on Clinton were the wrong call was because she had a good response to both.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But if she can completely defend some points, and does so, there's always a next one.
And if she can't defend it out of the blue or on her feet, the opposition screams "See, she doesn't have an answer! Liar, liar!"

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
From The Root's 2020 Presidential Black Power Rankings, Week 3:

You hear that loud beep-beep sound? That’s the sound of Sen. Kamala Harris backtracking on her busing position after ethering Joe Biden on the issue during the first debate. Now Harris says busing should be a “local” issue, not necessarily a federal mandate, essentially parroting what the former vice president stumbled to explain in the debate. Not only is this a total cop-out, Harris’ vigorous attack on busing now looks more performative than principle. Her new housing plan for black families is a decent idea, and it might fix our credit scores. However, homes aren’t always the best wealth generator for low-income families, who are often burdened by upkeep and repairs.

Given the senator’s own actions during the housing crisis, who knows if a Harris administration would commit to the followup needed for all these new black homeowners anyway? Finally, Harris’ second-quarter fundraising was just abysmal. If you’re going to take all that Wall Street money, then you better get in their pockets. Harris only raised $12 million, $2 million of which was in the hours after the second debate. If it weren’t for her National Education Association speech and Essence Fest, Harris would’ve fallen even lower on our list.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaaannnd, the Dems front-runner, Uncle Joe Biden, aka "Barack Obama's Third Term" didn't do jack or shit to improve his standing after Kamala Harris threw him in the dryer and switched it to high heat.

Let’s get this straight: Biden gets bodied by a black woman at the first Democratic debates and then doesn’t even show up at Essence Fest?

“Bruh—YOU AIN’T EVEN SHOWED UP THO?!?!?” Garza emailed in all caps in exasperated black, a special font we use at The Root. This led to a bevy of #Facts and #NoLiesDetected texts and responses from other analysts.

Biden moves up one spot for finally apologizing for his busing gaffe, but whether that was due to a true understanding or dropping in the polls remains to be seen. At some point, we’re going to stop grading him on the Obama curve.

No to Joe. He got owned at the first debate and he should be thanking Kamala Harris for it. If he can't handle the smoke she brought in June 2019, he ain't gonna be ready for the shit Trump and the GOP would throw at him in 2020.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Debate #3 - OMG STFU. Remember I'm going to vote for one of these guys no matter what.

They are yelling at each other to get their talking points in, interrupting, ignoring the constant moderator saying time's up.

Aaaaaaahhhhh!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Klobuchar just said immigrants should apply for asylum from outside of the country. I hope I heard that wrong.

O'Rourke just said he would ban some PACs doing certain things. I don't think he read the Citizen's United ruling.

Williamson has some great pie-in-the-sky ideas. I almost wish she was qualified. But right now we don't need another unqualified POTUS.

Sanders repeated, all the other modern countries provide health care for everyone. That is not an argument that sells with the American people.

Uh oh, Montana Guv just said something akin to 'wishful thinking promises'. You're going to see that on Fox by tonight.

Warren just got a good dig in against any of the naysayers. Audience clapped loudly.

I like Warren more and more. Klobuchar sounds more promising as a candidate tonight.

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
So far I like Delaney the most tonight, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning the nomination lol

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to watch it. What am I missing?

ETA- My understanding is Warren and Pete did well.

Last edited: