July 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Ichabod

Registered
Reaction score
Started chapter five of my new work. I need to stop changing it and just write.

Lakey: I like writing in the evening even though I have all day. I mostly write in two-hour spurts, but I spent the whole afternoon on one paragraph. I may have to move on and save it for the first edit.

April: I have the same issue when I look at my chapter three, I’m thinking I should make it a back-story in chapter eight or somewhere down the line.

WGough: My WIP is about where you are except I only have four chapters (rough draft).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Lakey - Rs!! Anyone who even sends of a story is very very brave! Congrats on the post-beta revisions
Good to see you Taylor, hope you get the piece figured out :)
Chs 2 & 3 already, excellent, April!
whao, sandree - that's three tickets for dinner at the 1K club right there - wtg!
Those are good days 29 & 30, Ptero, & congrats on the progress (mostly it's been icy water for me)
Keep up the good work, Kiethy
Sounds like a good day, Ada
Ah, Cindy - that sounds frustrating - here's to a great blog experience! (and a congrats on the checklist of 3 :) )

Day 30
WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - made an appointment for a housemate interview (yep, it's that time again)
BP/$$ - earning service

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks. Astonishingly, I am still working on “Brooklyn Love Song” — I thought I’d set it aside after sending it off for beta, but nope. Yesterday evening I smoothed out one of the two sections that got broken when I moved a scene up. Hopefully tonight I’ll smooth out the other one. Then I’ll send it off to a couple other beta readers, and maybe then really set it aside for a while.

April: Thanks. You’ve always got to work on the next story no matter what, right?

Taylor: Welcome back.

sandree: Trying to silence the inner editor and get a draft down, somehow, is good for me too, when I can manage it. I like revising much better than drafting even when it’s terrifically difficult (this story I’ve been trying to beat down for a month is a good example). See what you get out of those impressive totals — you might be on to something for yourself.

Pterofan: *plucks a banana*

Keithy: Trial by combat! The very idea terrifies me — whether facing such a trial or trying to write one, either way I’m a goner!

Ada.Troy: Nice work revising!

Cindy: Sorry things broke down with that newspaper. I’m glad you mean to keep writing the essays.

Ichabod: My trouble is I’m usually too damn tired in the evening after work, and so not disciplined enough to make myself focus. IN fact I’d rather write in the morning, but I have to exercise in the morning ... usually, it’s hard to fit in both.

Layla: I appreciate that. If the story hadn’t received some good contest placements I’d have given up on it long ago. The fact that a couple of university lit-mags didn’t laugh it right off their desks gives me what I need to keep submitting. Most of the university mags are off for the summer so while I have a few more places pending right now, I’m expecting to do another round of submissions in September when they all reopen.

:e2coffee:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 31 - another half a page, another 200 words or so.

Moving into the fight scene. I came up with a (possibly controversial) way for vampires to go out and about in sunlight. Not sure how well it'll work in a red state, though. Guess we'll find out. Since this story's turned into a riff on Raiders, I can best describe it with a line from the movie: "I'm making this up as I go."

See you all in the August thread!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Ichabod - I feel like that at the moment... but there's always more prep to do.
Layla - I have a housemate... it's my wife :)
Lakey - good luck with the betas.
Pterofan - 200 words is good.

After promising that I would spend time considering the SQ main plot I completely ignored it.

Instead, I spent more time on the Worldbuilding for Demon Hunter (was the visitor). Lots of notes moved around and tidied up. Character sheets written. I particularly like Tanay, aka the Queen of the Roads, so called because she was deposed some years ago and has spent the intervening time going hither and thither looking for support. But now she's found a way to get her throne back. Oh, and more names worked out. I need a name of a God and a few random kingdom names.

Although this story is set in medieval times, I have decided to give it something of an African feeling with suitable names and settings.

Keep swimming! (I did some of that today)

See you all in August.

Ada.Troy

Registered
Reaction score
Day 8
1. Revised one chapter.
2. Walked.
3. Beta read 2 (short) chapters.

Cindyt: I have visions of you resigning in spectacular fashion. Congratulations, that decision sounds like a good one.

Ichabod: I know how you feel.

Layla: Housemate interviews. I do not envy those.

Lakey: I wonder if your version of smoothing is different than mine? What do you consider smoothing?

I will see you lovely folks in the August thread!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Lakey - sounds like some good work
Congrats on the 200 Ptero
Keithy, 'Queen of the Roads' sounds like a great character
Nice work, Ada

Day 31 - on to August!

WIP - 1/4 page :D
R/SC woods & lake
BP/$$ - started another job application

Ichabod

Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling like a Volga boatman...DO DO DOOOO Do..
I had to get my drivers license renewed and I was stressed out the whole day.
I'm sure it's okay to post my progress:

Chapter 5
ijf[qop0jfqof[

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 31

Draft - 446 :Hammer:

Revisions - 1 scene

Research - Foods that will plug you up--pizza! just what Billy wants after he wakes from a month-long coma. Cost of a pack of cigarettes in 1985: $1.15.

Blog - I set the bones of my next blog article. My deadline is for Wednesday, August 7, 2019. Just because I’m now writing for my blog doesn’t mean I’m going to slack off on pub dates and grammar and such, though the pieces will be as long as they need to be.

Layla - My last blog post was a monster hit. I ain’t worried at all. Congrats on the 1/4th page.

Lakey - You certainly had a productive day. I couldn’t stop writing those articles if I wanted to.

Ada.Troy - WTG on revising and beta reading. I wouldn’t call it spectacular, but I stuck to my guns and ended up with the publisher including the link to my blog in the category in place of where article was posted.

Last edited:

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Day 31

After a couple of weeks off, slipping in at the very end...

Draft four started. The first three chapters edited and trimmed down.

Looking forward to catching up with you all in August :)

Ichabod

Registered
Reaction score
After staring at a blank page for a while last week, I finally finished chapter 5 with two lines into chapter 6.

ETA 11:15 PM, finished Chapter 6 There was a huge battle scene with an elite group of (a sort of special ops) hussars against some of the deserters from the Ottoman Turks. On to Chapter 7 after I give the puppies a bath.

Last edited: