Who's in love with The OA (especially that amazing villain)?

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
I know it starts ridiculously slow, but man, I love this show. Especially the bad guy, Hap. The way he's introduced at first, you're like, "I thiiiink he's a bad guy," but he's so vulnerable with Prairie, you let your guard down.

Then that door slams shut...

I'm only on Episode 6 of season 1, so no spoilers please!!! :p

----

So, technical question... how do they do this vulnerable villain thing so well? Hap seems to fly in the face of basic writing rules, like "the villain should be hateable." I personally vacillate between hate and sympathy for Hap, depending on the scene. How do you guys react to him?

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I love the OA but then I pretty much love everything Brit Marling does. I really recommend checking out her other work.

Personally I hate Hap and I have no sympathy for him however I have watched both seasons (as much as I love season1, I love season 2 even more). Still think he's a great villain (the kind that think they are the hero of their own story).

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Riiiight?

I guess I should say, I don't feel sympathy for him, but I can see him grasping after his own lost decency in the way he relates to The OA *sometimes.* And yeah, he totally thinks he's the hero of his story.

That scene in Grand Central Station, when he gives her the heartbeat-hearing device... chilllzzzz

I'll have to check out her other stuff. TBH, I hadn't heard of her before I saw this.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Good to see some love for the OA. Season 2 was even better, IMO. It was a good change-up.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Riiiight?

I guess I should say, I don't feel sympathy for him, but I can see him grasping after his own lost decency in the way he relates to The OA *sometimes.* And yeah, he totally thinks he's the hero of his story.

That scene in Grand Central Station, when he gives her the heartbeat-hearing device... chilllzzzz

I'll have to check out her other stuff. TBH, I hadn't heard of her before I saw this.

I love her for the fact that when she started up in Hollywood she got tired to be cast as the blonde that gets killed in horror films so she started to write her own scripts. I highly recommend The East, Another Earth, Sound of my Voice.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
II watched the first season, was deeply bored at points along the way but wanted to get to the end and was.... SO annoyed with the ending. I think it's kind of hella self-indulgent, in that it needed editing.

I started S2, saw the recap and was like 'oh, yeah, still pissed, no,' and turned it off. I'm interested in the idea that S2 is better but...

Also didn't find Hap sympathetic or vulnerable in any way. He seemed very predatory/manipulative.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Now I feel like a creep for thinking Hap was showing real vulnerability. Maybe it was just the acting--that dude is phenomenal. Or I would be duped by Hap and become one of his victims. Who knows...

The show being a little self-indulgent... toootally. It has an indie film feel at the beginning (in a bad way).

I think Brit just sells it for me. She's so real in the show.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I love the OA, partially bc of Hap. So well done showing his perception of himself (the wronged, vulnerable guy) vs his actions.