blue tree with lights

AW Is an Amazon Associate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: my Project Genesis

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    This sounds like an interesting project. Like Mewellsmfu said, think about what you bring to the table. Since you are not a scientist, it might be interesting to hear about this as the story of your personal journey. Think of it as a kind of conversion story, just a conversion to atheism. Was it shocking to find yourself convinced of evolution? Liberating? How did rejecting the Genesis creation lead you to atheism? This may seem like an obvious question, but lots of Christians are comfortable with evolution. The Catholic Church, for example, allows for the possibility of evolution, just arguing that it was divinely guided. So think about why it was that when you rejected a literal seven-day creation, you became an atheist. I think people might be more receptive if you frame it as "This is what it means to me" rather than "I want to debunk these guys' cherished beliefs."

One thing you might want to think about is why the issue of creation vs. evolution blew up at the particular time it did. It had been bubbling under the surface for a while, but came to a head in the late 90's early 2000s. I have some suspicions, but haven't actually read up on it. There are likely good books and articles about it. Reading up on that might help give you some direction to your project. (Now I'm curious about what has been written. I may poke around a bit and will let you know if I come up with something interesting.)

You might find this article from the Biblical Archaeology Society interesting: https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...aign=ZE9A63Z40 It discusses how the ancient Israelites would have understood their creation story.
    Last edited by New Pastoralist; 07-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.