Alabama Woman Indicted -- For Being Shot (which caused a miscarriage).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, not kidding. Not The Onion.

Alabama, at the forefront of the rush to remaking the country as Margaret Atwood's nightmare, indicted a woman who was shot in the abdomen, because it caused a miscarriage, and the grand jury decided she'd started the verbal argument which ended in someone shooting her. The person who shot her? Charges dismissed. Yeah, seriously.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict her...

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid said at the time of the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”...

The 5-month fetus was "dependent on its mother to try to keep it from harm, and she shouldn’t seek out unnecessary physical altercations,” Reid added.

Jones will be transferred to the Jefferson County Jail where she will be held on $50,000 bond.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, 'confinement' becomes a thing again. Once you're pregnant, stay home whenever possible, to avoid conflict or other danger.
And, the authorities are actual looking for cases to practice on.

Watch the birthrate in the U.S. decline sharply, as women decide not to take chances with their freedoms.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This cannot possibly be true. I am going to come back to it tomorrow and hopefully by then we'll have heard it's just - not possibly true.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was she maybe shooting at the person who shot at her? Or at the children of the person who shot at her? I can't get my head around this at all.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Was she maybe shooting at the person who shot at her? Or at the children of the person who shot at her? I can't get my head around this at all.

Very simple. An incubator's job is to incubate, not pretend to be a complete and autonomous human being. :rant:

I don't know, frimble,your prediction should be correct, but taking away access to birth control is jelly to the peanut butter of crushing women. Especially poor women and women of color.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
No, not kidding. Not The Onion.

Alabama, at the forefront of the rush to remaking the country as Margaret Atwood's nightmare, indicted a woman who was shot in the abdomen, because it caused a miscarriage, and the grand jury decided she'd started the verbal argument which ended in someone shooting her. The person who shot her? Charges dismissed. Yeah, seriously.

If there truly was an argument for building a border wall, this state would be the first place I would start. There are others, but this one should be at the top of the list.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Well obviously it was this woman's fault. If only she knew her place and instead of trying to be an actual human being who thinks she has the right to argue with her "man," she deliberately placed her unborn child in harm's way of the bullet. If only she had just moved a few inches either way, she could have been the one to take the bullet, then she could be put on life support for 4 months and that child could then be raised by her loving father. No burden is too great to bear if you are a woman and pregnant, and after all, sacrificing your own life is such a small thing to do.

I want to believe this will be a wake up call for all the voters on the fence who just want lower taxes, but the events of the last few years have snuffed out any optimism I may have had.

I don't want to violate the no swear rule, but insert every curse word you've ever heard right here - *********************!

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Well obviously it was this woman's fault. If only she knew her place and instead of trying to be an actual human being who thinks she has the right to argue with her "man," she deliberately placed her unborn child in harm's way of the bullet.

From what I understood of the article, the argument was with another woman and they were arguing about the baby's father. The entire situation is just monstrous, though. I can't believe that they'd charge her for something like that and compound the trauma of losing her child. I truly hope that she's able to get a good lawyer who will help her appeal to a different court!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to know women have no value other than baby makers and if anything happens, well imprison her.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Just when you thought the stupidity/cruelty could not get worse.

It was always leading here.

Women shouldn't have non-religiously-sanctioned sex.
If she does, she deserves to get pregnant.
If she gets pregnant, she's entirely subservient to the fetus.
If the pregnancy goes to term, she's ostracized and starved as a single mother.

We. Are. Not. People. To. Them.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad they stopped this dangerous woman before she got shot again. Dear god, what if she were carrying twins? Imagine that.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I suspect even an Alabama pro-lifer would feel a bit queasy with this one. Which is why it's a DAMN good thing for them that the victim is black. "Whew!" I can hear all the nice white church-ladies saying. "At least we can blame it on her being with the 'wrong' kind of people. Maybe if she wasn't so uppity she would have just turned and gone back into the house where she belonged. Tut-tut."

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The crazy thing is, even if she DID deserve punishment (which is obviously stupid), she's already been punished. She got freakin' shot!

I'd imagine the recidivism rate on getting shot is pretty doggone low.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect even an Alabama pro-lifer would feel a bit queasy with this one.

Nah, I’d need to see some evidence for that. :tongue

Americans today are too complacent about freedoms they have that were won hard. Staying home on election day 2020 is not an option. Neither is voting for unicorn third-party candidates. This tide of repressive bullshit is only going to keep rolling, unless people vote to stop it.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Crimson Tide they apparently prefer:

handmaidstale_042518gn.jpg

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I can't get my head around this at all.

It's simple, really. A woman pulled a gun and shot another woman in self defense. It is a rather common occurrence in the US. Nevermind the huge imbalance between the threat level and the defense response. It's all legit.

-cb

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That fetus screwed up by not arming itself for just this situation.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't charge her for the bullet.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I just want to slip in here among the dark humor a dystopian decision like this spawns (my dark humor included), that this wasn't just a prosecutorial decision. This poor woman was indicted by a grand jury. I assume they weren't actually a jury of her peers.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to slip in here among the dark humor a dystopian decision like this spawns (my dark humor included), that this wasn't just a prosecutorial decision. This poor woman was indicted by a grand jury. I assume they weren't actually a jury of her peers.
Given the prosecutor essentially leads the Grand Jury's decision, it amounts to a prosecutor hiding their action behind the Grand Jury.