Hello!

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Hi there!

My name is Pia Sophia (just Pia is fine as well) and I have written my first story when I was about 6 years old. Ever since, I have been writing a lot. Most of my writings have been for myself or, when I found out how to use e-mail as a child, I over-enthusiastically shared every story I made up with my family. I am also a midwife and started a blog on my midwife-life about a year ago. I enjoy writing short stories best. I am currently in the process of publishing a small collection of them soon.

I decided to join this forum because I don't know many writers in real life and am eager to connect with some to share ideas and thoughts and therefore improve my writing. Secondly, English is not my native language and as I do like to write in English I figured this would be a good practice anyway :)

What else? Introducing myself is not something I'm very good at, so excuse me on this one. Other than writing and catching babies, I enjoy reading (duh). I always have 1001 ideas in my head, but tend to forget a lot of them or get them mixed up before writing them down. So... hi! I am glad to be here and to get to be a member of this apparently huge community.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Pia! Welcome! :hi:
This is a lovely place to achieve all the goals you set forth. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Midwifery sounds very interesting. All I know about it is from TV shows, so my information is hopelessly inaccurate!

What sort of short stories do you write? Do you write them in English or your native language? Do you want to share what your native language is? (Just because I'm curious. :))

Bridgen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pia! Good to have you here :welcome:

This forum is great for learning the craft of writing. I hope you enjoy your time here :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Hi Kat! Thank you!

My native language is Dutch :) I write my short stories in Dutch to begin with, and am now translating them to English. Luckily, I have an editor-aunt who translates books to English, so I have excellent help on that front. My short stories are a combination of horror and thriller stories that make you think that the things you have read just can't be true (but they are). Some feel dystopian, but are actually set in this society we live in.

Ha, midwifery as we know it from TV shows is often far from reality, indeed! Not that it makes it less fun to watch, but still. Thank you for showing interest! :Sun:

-

Bridgen, Rookiewriter and regdog: thank you as well!

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, Pia. This is a great community and a great place to learn. Have fun!

:e2coffee:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
My native language is Dutch :) I write my short stories in Dutch to begin with, and am now translating them to English. Luckily, I have an editor-aunt who translates books to English, so I have excellent help on that front. My short stories are a combination of horror and thriller stories that make you think that the things you have read just can't be true (but they are). Some feel dystopian, but are actually set in this society we live in.
One of my favorite professors in college was Dutch! (Still is, actually . . . I saw him yesterday.) That meaningless connection aside . . .
. . . stories that feel dystopian but are actually set in this society, that sounds painfully appropriate for the time we live in.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
One of my favorite professors in college was Dutch! (Still is, actually . . . I saw him yesterday.) That meaningless connection aside . . .
. . . stories that feel dystopian but are actually set in this society, that sounds painfully appropriate for the time we live in.

Yes, I know. That's why I don't really know how to call them anyway... But you get the picture!
Ha, that's a fun fact about your favorite professor. What did (does?) he teach?

-

Thanks, Lakey, L.Y. and Rufio! Glad to make you laugh :D

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Organ performance/music history. He was also my first ever choir director, which is how I came to know him.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Elementary education. I guess you'd call it primary school? Basically, a few years after you catch them, I teach them math. Music is a side thing that won't let me go.

So what got you into writing?

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Oh, that's great! I would love to work with young children if I wouldn't be a midwife.

What got me into writing I honestly couldn't say. I have been writing ever since I can remember, basically. My mother once told me that I learned how to read before we were taught the alphabet in school (here in The Netherlands children don't learn to read and write until they're 6-7 years old) and started writing small stories ever since. I went to a Waldorf school and before class started we always had to write and draw about the day before, so we could tell the class about it. I always had a vivid imagination and made everything way more interesting than they actually were, and I guess that is were things started. Then, as I got older, writing became therapeutic. My mother always printed my stories out at work so I could make little 'books' of them and I would hand them out to my family and friends. So writing has always been a part of me, in a way!

What got you into writing? :Coffee:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I didn't go to Waldorf school, but my mother used a Waldorf homeschool curriculum (I know, Americans are weird). Your school sounds lovely.

I had an imaginary friend growing up, but I knew she wasn't real. I would tell stories about her for years and years. I didn't like writing until I was allowed to use the computer and then the words could come out at the same speed I thought of them. :)

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Haha, so you kind of did went to a Waldorf school after all! Kind of :)

Oh, that is amazing! Did you ever do something with the stories you told/wrote about her?

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Emphasis on the "kind of," but enough to give me respect for the philosophy. :)

It depends how you look at it. My WIP's MC is kind of an outgrowth of her (I can track the development). She also tried out every career trajectory I ever wanted to try, and so I am living out some of her life story. (I ditched the part where she lived on a farm, had four children, and got stoned to death as a martyr . . . those are no longer aspirations of mine.)

Did your family enjoy your library of books?

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Haha, that is just great! I love how something that started when you were a kid still is useful and inspirational to you now.

Oh, my family sure did enjoy them! Or at least they said they did. When I was around 20 years old, I got a huge box full of my old stories that I e-mailed to my grandfather when I was younger. He had printed them all out and put them together so they were book-like. It was very touching. I read them again later and it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (besides the lack of proper interpunction and often unfinished story lines--but what's to expect from a 7- or 9-year old little girl who first gets introduced to a computer lol).

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's so sweet! What a grandfatherly thing to do.