Searching for labels

Ian_Eller

Registered
Reaction score
After years of finding "success" in sci-fi and fantasy only in the game writing industry, I have decided to try something different. I am currently working on a project that is realistic, perhaps a tiny bit semi-autobiographical, but I don't know what to call it, genre wise.

It is about romantic relationships, but it isn't a Romance. It is about sex, but it isn't Erotica. It is funny (well, it's supposed to be) but it isn't Humor. It's dramatic, but it isn't Serious Fiction or Literature, either. The closest thing I can come p with is "sex dramedy for dad-bods and those that love them" but it feels unwieldy.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like contemporary to me. That covers a lot, so you won't be accused of misrepresentation.

I've learned not to claim any humor content in anything I write. Those who find it funny will be pleasantly surprised, and those who don't at least won't think I'm an idiot. You can usually get away with calling it 'lighthearted'.without offending anyone's sensibilities. Let the editors and reviewers brand it.

Jefflrich

Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my writing: not sure what genre I fit in, if any (though, I assume, we all fit into one category, at least). I write the story devoid of any concept of genre, letting the characters and the situations play out as need be. I believe I edge towards upmarket fiction but possibly I'm over-selling the work. Contemporary seems so vague, though. I'm just about at the querying stage so definitely need to figure this out soon!