Worrying racism in the small press

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I thought was clear was that I am opposed to any kind of bias. The story should matter. Nothing else. Saying you don't want to see stories about white people is not in the interests of anyone
That's not at all what the publisher you quoted said.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
let's say for the sake of argument that there are fewer black writers. Is it fair to disproportionately accept more fiction from black writers over white ones, or to make it your agenda to do so? Do you see the problem
Yes, I see one problem, you're under the misconception white authors can't write about POC characters.

Two, you've made assumptions about the proportion of POC authors I doubt you have the data to back up.

Three, (the flip side of one) you are assuming authors match the ethnicity of their characters.

You answered the question yourself. If a minority are under represented in fiction it's not due to racism, it's due to them being a minority.
This suggests you don't believe minorities are underrepresented in literature.

Yet they clearly are and it is easily demonstrated. Have you considered rethinking your position on this?

Last edited:

BellTower

Registered
Reaction score
That's not at all what the publisher you quoted said.

This is what I quoted:
"We love to publish works featuring fiery feminism, a rainbow of LGBTQIA+, skin colours that don’t begin with the letter ‘W’."

Tell me how that doesn't suggest a racist agenda

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
BellTower, that will be enough of that. It's clear to anyone reading this thread that you have indeed deleted TWO posts.

I'm closing this thread to let it cool off. I suggest strongly that you stop posting and start reading. For comprehension. With the best will in the world, members have tried and tried to explain what the publisher is actually saying.

You've got a burr under your saddle—that's fine, you go ahead and do you—but make sure you know what you're reading before you continue to argue your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.