Communicating with a publisher about a revise and resubmit. Do you check in or just wait it out?

writera

Registered
Reaction score
About a month ago, I sent revisions back to a publisher (on a revise and resubmit). The next day they responded to say "Thank you for sending the manuscript back. It may take me a little bit to get to this, but hope to sooner rather than later."

I'm going to try not to check in, but if I was going to, how long should I wait and what would I say? Is this a situation where you should check back or just wait it out no matter how long it takes? I know when you first submit, you're advised to wait about 3 - 6 months before checking in, but not sure if this is different given they've already read the original version of the novel and there's already a line of communication open.

I'm not sure how to interpret "might take me a little bit to get to this, but hope to sooner rather than later" in terms of a timeframe. Sounds like they might have lots of stuff to read, but that they'll try to get to it soon.

I don't have an agent and have been dealing with this editor at the publishing house directly.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, just wait a while. In publisher time, a month is a mere finger-snap.

Julsicle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, even though in my case, they told me it could take them 16 weeks to get to it. I assume I'm on the slush, like I was before, and they're not prioritizing me in any way, so I will only check in if they run over the time they've set. I know that your case is slightly different (no time-frame, that suuuucks) but maybe wait to nudge at least as much as it took them to answer you the first time around? Ayways, all the luck in the world! My fingers are crossed for you (and me)!

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Give them 3-6 months at least.