Help with plural of a group nickname.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
So in my world there are 3 groups of people based off different types of puppets. Marionettes, stick-and-rod, and Ventriloquist dummies. Each of them have a nickname (puppet, rod, dummy). Yes, I know dummy seems strange but I couldn't think of anything else. When plotting this story I've run into a problem--How would I write the plural of dummy? Would they be dummies or dummys? Since dummy is not an official name and only a nickname I'm betting on dummies, but I would like to have a second opinion.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pluralize it dummies. Merriam Webster seems to agree with me.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So in my world there are 3 groups of people based off different types of puppets. Marionettes, stick-and-rod, and Ventriloquist dummies. Each of them have a nickname (puppet, rod, dummy). Yes, I know dummy seems strange but I couldn't think of anything else. When plotting this story I've run into a problem--How would I write the plural of dummy? Would they be dummies or dummys? Since dummy is not an official name and only a nickname I'm betting on dummies, but I would like to have a second opinion.

It is, as Maryn said, dummies.

When a word that ends in y has a consonant before the y, it pluralizes with ies; when there's a vowel before, as in monkey, you just add an s -- monkeys.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Double-check your terminology. When you say "stick-and-rod," are you referring to rod puppets like the Indonesian shadow puppets, which are generally two-dimensional, articulated puppets mounted on sticks? Or do you mean "hand-and-rod," such as Kermit the Frog, who is operated by a human hand for the body and mouth, and a rod or combination of rods for the limbs?

And just FYI, ventriloquist dummies are called "dummies" not because they're stupid, but because they are mute - the ventriloquist provides the voice.

:: Donna, who used to be a professional puppeteer although not a ventriloquist ::

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Double-check your terminology. When you say "stick-and-rod," are you referring to rod puppets like the Indonesian shadow puppets, which are generally two-dimensional, articulated puppets mounted on sticks? Or do you mean "hand-and-rod," such as Kermit the Frog, who is operated by a human hand for the body and mouth, and a rod or combination of rods for the limbs?

And just FYI, ventriloquist dummies are called "dummies" not because they're stupid, but because they are mute - the ventriloquist provides the voice.

:: Donna, who used to be a professional puppeteer although not a ventriloquist ::

Wow, this is great. By the rods, I mean the puppets that have rods attached to their wrists and someone behind a stage moves their arms. I guess that would mean hand-and-rod. Thanks for the life-saver