Thousands of Christians petition Netflix to cancel Good Omens

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
That's Good Omens, the recent (and awesome) series from Amazon Prime.

More than 20,000 Christians have signed a petition calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, saying it is '“another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”'. They also bitched about God being voiced by a woman (because of course they did).

Not heavy, earth shattering news, I just thought it was quite amusing and worth a post.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Because those 20K alleged Christians can't stand to allow differing viewpoints and/or things they don't like/approve of.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm going to have to take a look at that series. If it rouses ire in religious people, it couldn't be all bad. And Neil Gaiman is a good writer, so that's a plus.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
To put this in perspective, the change.org petition to remake Season 8 of Game of Thrones has ~1.7M signatures.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to take a look at that series. If it rouses ire in religious people, it couldn't be all bad. And Neil Gaiman is a good writer, so that's a plus.

It's lovely, in my opinion. Pratchett was always just a bit not my thing, but I've always enjoyed Gaiman, and the combination worked really well for me in this show.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix should respond by announcing they have canceled Good Omens on Amazon Prime ;)

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
As a very religious Christian myself, I think the show is awesome and true to my believes. I love how Adam and Eve weren't white since it's scientifically accurate. I was a bit confused that the woman was God at first (I thought she was the narrator or an angel), but when I realized it just kind of blended in since I was used to it. Why make a big deal over it? I just don't get people sometimes. But, uh, no spoilers guys, I've got 2 episodes left!

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me... I should watch the next episode of this. I watched the first two then haven't had time...

wait, what? They petitioned Netflix... lol

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Someone should send them a copy of Dogma! See how they deal with that.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure we tell them it was a book first so they'll go buy all the copies in existence (good for the industry) and then have a good old fashioned book burning (bad for the environment, but good at summoning the devil [I think]).

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
News of this petition warms my black heart. All the LOLz.

Seriously, how pathetic is their god that she can’t smite Netflix herself, if the show bothers her that much? What maroons.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, Book of Revelations parody fanfiction goes back almost as far as the Book of Revelations.

I've read both the Bible and Good Omens, haven't seen the show yet. Is it offensive? Not for me to say. But I can think of some other stuff contravening the teaching of Christ that might be more worth signing petitions about...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a very religious Christian myself, I think the show is awesome and true to my believes. I love how Adam and Eve weren't white since it's scientifically accurate. ...
Well not quite scientifically accurate but one could say more accurate.

I'm glad to hear people resist this kind of manufactured outrage. Of all the things for people to be upset about, this doesn't make the cut.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Is the joke on them because it's on Amazon Prime instead of Netflix? Or is it on Netflix too? (She asked plaintively.)

Because if it's on Netflix, I'm totally binging it this weekend! David Tennant as Crowley ought to be good.

I think I still have the whaler ship scene bookmarked.

I should reread. I have read they've deepened the relationship in the series between the demon and the angel somewhat from the books. That might be also a factor in what's getting these petitioners all afire.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Someone should send them a copy of Dogma! See how they deal with that.

I was going to say the same thing. Aren't any of them old enough to remember how getting all pissed off about Dogma in 1999 did absolutely nothing to stop it from being a big hit?

God was played by a woman in that one too.

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix has responded on Twitter, promising they won’t make any more. Nice trolling.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Dammit, everything I hear about this show just gets better. Why is it on Amazon?? :cry:

Netflix should respond by announcing they have canceled Good Omens on Amazon Prime ;)

Netflix has responded on Twitter, promising they won’t make any more. Nice trolling.

Awesome! :ROFL:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Is the joke on them because it's on Amazon Prime instead of Netflix?

The joke is they followed their beliefs it was on Netflix instead of getting the facts and finding through a scientific method it was on Amazon Prime.

-cb