Hello from the cold North!

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
And by cold North, I mean Scotland. Though I'm about to begin the only slightly-daunting process of immigrating to the USA, for reasons totally unrelated to writing. Wish me luck!

Anyway, hello! Happened upon Absolute Write years ago when I was searching for agent information and stumbled across the forum with warnings and recommendations. Eventually decided to sign up because you know, it seems like a cool community. With very valuable info!

I've written two adult fantasies and am currently 50k into a YA fantasy so... you can see where my tastes lie, haha. I did query the adult fantasies but ultimately got no offers at the end of the process, so here we are! I decided to try out YA because YA has always seemed like an incredibly tough challenge to me (seriously—I find it far harder than adult), but I really want to try. So far, the first draft feels... okay. It'll feel better once edited. Maybe this'll be the one that lands me an agent. Crossing my fingers.

My tastes pretty much skew the same way when reading—fantasy is my favourite (though I do love sci-fi too, I just don't feel confident enough at all to write it yet). Cool little community you've got here and I look forward to being a part of it!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome (to AW and soon to the States), and good luck! I hope we can provide all you're looking for on this side of the pond. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, I will not use my appalling Scottish accent on you, based entirely on Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons, but will instead add my welcome to the others. Nice to have you here!

Maryn, partly Scottish if you go back real far

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

And ha, it's fine. I'm used to hearing that accent a lot. :')

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My ancestors go back to Mary Queen of Scots... along with 20,000 others of her descendants apparently. :tongue

Good luck getting into the US in the current atmosphere. But you should have no trouble given the right ancestry. I welcome everybody, by the way. Contrary to a bunch of racists, we do have room, lots of it. :D

Last edited:

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
Haha!

Thank you. I have no concerns about getting in, I'm very qualified to (keeping it vague so as not to reveal too many personal details, lol). But yes, the political climate there is so troubling atm. :( Thanks for the welcome!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome: It's a really great community with a wealth of knowledge to draw on.
Oof, I don't envy you going through the immigration process. I hope wherever you are moving too has better weather than our dreich and misty land! Good luck with your new YA fantasy.