Your website - how much did you pay?

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Like MacAllister says, the style. I used the word frame, but in essence most blogs are boxes; header, content, with widgets set in the box sides that allow menus and other windows. You can download all sorts of different layouts if you explore wordpress.org.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
My son took classes in HTML and CSS, so I was lucky that he was able to build my website for me. I paid for the domain and hosting. I did pay a professional photographer to come out to my house and take some photos for the website though.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I have a commercial website. You don't need to spend much money to set up your own site, but it can be time-consuming.
The minimum cost is small
I suggest you buy your own domain name and don't take the free offer from a hosting company. It is actually free to register a domain name, but you need to be a registered registrar to do it, so a small fee there.

You need to keep your site somewhere. Most hosting companies will offer a range of options. Anything that is free will be the bare minimum, so just a bit more than free will be more than adequate. In the UK 5£ per month will cover it.

WordPress .com is a hosting site. WordPress.org is not the same thing. WordPress is an open-source free software, you just download it onto your host site, which you can use to make and run your website. Because millions of websites use it, there is loads of info out there on how to do that.
It is really difficult to get anybody to look at a new website, I would caution against spending too much money

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I pay for the server (hosting) and the domain. I built my first site in 1997, with a text editor, and have used pretty much all the blogging/CMS there are. Currently using Blogger, WordPress.org and WordPress.com, as well as Moodle (LMS for instruction sites) and hand-built static pages.

I encourage people not to spend money until they are making money.

Buy your own domain.

Buy a domain in your author name, not your book or series name.

Do not use your domain registrar as your hosting provider.

Avoid Wix; you want to be able to control all of your content, export it, back it up, and take it with you.

Reactions: kinokonoronin