Inclusion Starts With...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
These videos from Accenture were published about two years ago, but it's making circles through my employer recently. Kind of sad that they've only gotten about 700K views when things like Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus get millions of views on their videos. Each is only about 3 minutes, but worth the view imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g88Ju6nkcg (just music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynH4HSGcY6I (music and voice over)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUiqDPQjWE (voice over specific to India)

Seeing content like this published though, does give me hope for humanity that perhaps we are not too far lost, and there is still the possibility for increasing awareness and seeking inclusion rather than exclusion. Have others seen these videos? Thoughts?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Accenture one of the companies under fire in the Facebook moderation thread? That is, this type of messaging would be comforting if you can be removed from the problems but when messaging of diversity gets smushed in with workplace exploitation, the sheen on diversity messaging is going to lose its shine.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Accenture one of the companies under fire in the Facebook moderation thread? That is, this type of messaging would be comforting if you can be removed from the problems but when messaging of diversity gets smushed in with workplace exploitation, the sheen on diversity messaging is going to lose its shine.

No idea about Facebook - I avoid social media outlets like that purposefully. Not sure what you mean about diversity getting smushed in with workplace exploitation. If anything, my take on the videos was that it takes the ability to think outside your own gender, race, orientation, and to accept any lifestyle as acceptable. How can that be a bad thing?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
No idea about Facebook - I avoid social media outlets like that purposefully. Not sure what you mean about diversity getting smushed in with workplace exploitation. If anything, my take on the videos was that it takes the ability to think outside your own gender, race, orientation, and to accept any lifestyle as acceptable. How can that be a bad thing?

When the messenger is someone who is involved with making intolerable working conditions, the messaging seems to act as propaganda to help justify the displacement of workers for more "warm bodies" if they dare try to complain. The messaging doesn't say we are inclusive, but that you will be replaced. That's why it matters.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see....apologies, as I clearly have been completely out of the loop on Accenture and their intolerable work conditions. I had interpreted the messaging as being or at least encouraging inclusiveness.

I may have just caught up here, as I found this thread What's To Be Done With Social Media, and read through that as well as the referenced article from the OP. That is exactly the reason why I avoid social media these days (well that, and more personally, the drama and trolling that former friends and even some family engage in). The world is just so full of hate, I seized on something seemingly positive and just took it down my garden path.

After reading the article, I must resume my jaded world view that humans suck. :(

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Accenture's mentioned in two articles the author's written on this topic. The abuses are pretty detailed in both and apparently workers get very little, if any support, from TPTB. What makes the message in the videos even harder to swallow is how Facebook is on a bent to "jail" everybody who complains about sexual harassment, racism, or other personal attacks these days; a trans friend was accused of "bullying" when they went to the mods and complained about harassing and inappropriate posts from somebody, so they got "jailed" for three days). I understand these videos aren't produced by/for Facebook, but after seeing some of the shit my friends have gone through to get out of "jail" or have posts reinstated, I don't buy the "shiny happy people" message. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've flagged something that would get banned on network TV or give a movie a soft "R" rating as inappropriate and have gotten the standard Respond-O-Bot 9000™ response "you're right! That is inappropriate but it doesn't violate our community standards!" Yet they're quick to ban somebody for three days because his CGI comic shows two guys without their shirts because NIPPLES. Hell, somebody's quick on trigger to remove photos of women showing their mastectomy scar tattoos because NIPPLES. Or something.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Accenture are hypocrites, if we're to remain polite.

Inclusion starts with the individual, IMO: the individual needs to have the mindset and belief that everyone is worthy of inclusion, not just those the individual has learned to like vs. hate.

Of course, for the individual, it's easier to (cherry) pick who he/she/they associate with and get away with doing so. OTOH, corporations started as individuals who expanded their operations so much that they became companies.