Solved: Really REALLY Dumb Question

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
I have written a line, and I'm not sure how to punctuate the last part. Do I use ";" make it a whole new sentence of its own, or keep the coma?

Mr. Fodrey looked away, his arm motioned to wipe sweat from his brow. Cassidy had done what countless other lawyers had failed to do, make Mr. Fodrey nervous.

This is in a new paragraph of its own after a dialogue paragraph for the Cassidy character. Next I plan on putting dialogue for the Mr. Fodrey character, but should I have it as a whole new paragraph or keep it in this one?

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
It should be a colon.

Cassidy had done what countless other lawyers had failed to do: make Mr. Fodrey nervous.

The first sentence is punctuated incorrectly. There are two independent clauses here, and therefore you need a period where you have a comma.

Mr. Fodrey's dialogue should be a new paragraph.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Mr. Fodrey looked away, wiping sweat from his brow with one arm. Cassidy had done what countless other lawyers had failed to do, made Mr. Fodrey nervous.

"My line of dialogue goes here in a new paragraph," said Fodrey.

(This editor tweaked awkward sentence structure. She's hardwired for that sort of thing. :) )

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
Thank you both. I kind of write how it sounds, and I know when I'm done I'll need a beta reader with a very fine tipped red pen to go through all my grammar. Thanks for the help with the current section.