What's on TV now?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's the last thing you've watched on TV? (Leaving out routine functional stuff like the weather & traffic...)

Last night was a Netflix night for me:
-- High Seas (Alta Mar), last episode -- an excellent Spanish whodunnit set on a cruise ship bound for Brazil in 1946. 8 parts, full of twists & turns. Very stylish!
-- Quiz for God, 2 episodes -- a Korean procedural. She's a detective, he's an eccentric doctor in the forensic lab, together they solve crime! Nothing really special, but it's leaving Netflix next month so I may watch more before it goes.

Reactions: Ink-Soul

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Obsessed with Legion right now, binge-watched 16 hour-long episodes over the last two days. Kinda not the superhero fan I used to be, but I really like how it takes elements from X-Men and distorts them into something utterly surreal and trippy as hell. Has it's annoying parts, but I always grade on a curve for entertainment that is messy but boldly experimental. Also, There Is Dancing.

Dan Stevens is great, and Aubrey Plaza is amazing beyond all reckoning.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Assuming streaming counts (I don't really watch regular TV anymore):

I'm halfway through Amazon Prime's Good Omens, based on the Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett book of the same name, about a demon and an angel attempting to thwart Armageddon. So far it's fun, with the Pratchett pointed humor coming through strong, though once in a while it gets distracted with itself. Given the authors (and the fact that Gaiman oversaw the adaptation), I'm reasonably confident all the threads will come together by the end.

Before that, I watched (and rewatched) Netflix's Altered Carbon, based on the Richard K. Morgan book of the same name, about a world where death has been reduced to an inconvenience afflicting the poor through "stacks" that record lives and can be spun up into new "sleeve" bodies on demand. A nicely dark futuristic cyberpunk noir tale, and if it takes an episode or two to get the hang of things, it takes the viewer on quite an intense ride, one that definitely rewards rewatching.

I'm also watching the Canadian sitcom Kim's Convenience as a timekiller on Netflix, about a Korean-Canadian family. Fun, with some great dialog and no aggravatingly useless or evil characters.

And every night at dinner the sibling has been streaming a couple eps of Criminal Minds on Netflix, the popular series about FBI behavioral profilers pursuing criminals. Decent so far (about mid-S5), with nice cast chemistry and no complete clunker eps, though a few of them seemed to be missing minor elements to draw them together and a couple had a little too much filler about them.

(Then there's The Expanse on Prime; once I know when S4 will be released, I'll probably start yet another rewatch from S1 ep 1 - which I could do just as easily on Blu-Ray, but I like giving them the numbers. A lack of good streaming numbers likely contributed to the demise of Prime's excellent and criminally underpromoted The Tick.)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Endeavour on Masterpiece Theater ('cause y'all know how much I lurve me some Brit Mystery)

Reactions: dpickett

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lodge 49 is the best show maybe evur, I mean it this time. If someone here doesn't watch it so I can talk to them about it, I swear I'm gonna flounce.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I only have FTA TV (I know!) but it's been showing all the X Files eps. I never watched the series (I know!), so I've been recording them and watching a couple most mornings as I ignore housework and think about going to work. Good fun.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Space Channel has started showing reruns of Xena: Warrior Princess. I had forgotten how much I love that show.
No forensics, no fancy equipment, no negotiation or cunning plans, no good-looking male partner/love interest. Just Xena, hittin' people and making things better. Sometimes that's all I want: a role model doing stuff I can't. Like hitting annoying people and riding away from annoying situations, and getting away with it.
Apparently, there will be episodes all week. I will miss tomorrow's because our strata committee is going to have a very fraught meeting, speaking of people I can't hit and situations I can't ride away from.:rant:

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The last shows I finished on Netflix were Inkheart (movie) and Forest of Piano (aka Piano no Mori: The Perfect World of Kai; series).

Inkheart isn't as emotional now that the conflicts feel mundane from our current political climate; however, the movie, like the book, remains fascinating.

In Forest of Piano, the animation is inconsistent and too reliant on stills, hiding the beauty of a pianists' physical movements and audience reactions. Even with that, it's a story full of love and hope.

My husband and I tried to watch the Dark Crystal series but were sadly disappointed by the spastic, smashed genre feel of the introductions. I wasn't comfortable with what's been done with Ogra in the backstory or the missed opportunities. The characters and settings were handled like animated characters for a theatrical release instead of puppets with physical locations that will be viewed on small screens by viewers.

Also on Netflix, I'm currently watching:
~ Always a Witch / Siempre Bruja (live action series)
~ My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (animated series)
~ Miraculous Ladybug (animated series)

Those last two are watched with my family. They're not consistently good like Hilda (animated series) was but are more enjoyable than the latest version of Ben 10 (series).

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
The last shows I finished on Netflix were Inkheart (movie) and Forest of Piano (aka Piano no Mori: The Perfect World of Kai; series). My husband and I tried to watch the Dark Crystal series but were sadly disappointed by the spastic introductions and pulp sci-fi feel of the direction.

I'm currently watching:
~ Always a Witch / Siempre Bruja (series)
~ My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (series)
~ Miraculous Ladybug (series)

Those last two are watched with my family. They're not consistently good like Hilda (series) was but are more enjoyable than the latest version of Ben 10 (series).

I really enjoyed Siempre Bruja! What do you think of it?

My husband and I watch TV series all. the. time. Right now, we're watching the newest episodes of Peaky Blinders. There's something about 1920s' crime that's very intriguing to watch. Also, Cillian Murphy.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I watch a lot of tour cycling in the summer months (e.g. Tour de France). I'm watching the Tour of Spain (Vuelta a Espana) currently.

On TV, I got into a new series I recently discovered on NHK network and sometimes on Create TV network (in America). It's called Cycle Around Japan. Riders randomly speak to locals doing interesting things and we get to learn what they do for a living, for food, for fun, and so on. GREAT scenery too. Very relaxing.

I've been watching Queen of the South (USA network) over summer.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The last series I watched was The Good Place, Seasons 1 - 3, on Netflix. After dying, Arizona barhopper Eleanor finds herself in a perfect neighborhood with perfect neighbors and perfect soulmates, run by an immortal architect named Michael... but he seems to think she's someone else. Thus begins a series of events and revelations and disasters that reveal the truth about the afterlife.

I decided to watch it when an S3 episode beat out an Expanse episode for the Hugo. It's a quirky, clever sitcom whose characters all grow, if at differing rates. The story never lingers overlong, either; where a season ends is never where it began. I'm looking forward to the fourth and final year, and may end up watching it on-demand as it airs rather than waiting for the whole season on Netflix. (As for whether it deserved its Hugo over Expanse... it's really apples and oranges. I definitely see why it was nominated, though.)

I got two episodes into The OA and was intrigued, but news that the third season has been cancelled with no wrap-up movie planned, and that it ends on a cliffhanger, makes me reconsider watching more. I don't like knowing I'll get no resolution.

As for what I'm going to watch next, I'm still deciding. I'm on the fence about the Dark Crystal series; I thought the movie was visually impressive but with a bit of a thin storyline, and I'm not sure the series won't be similar, though I am interested in seeing what the Henson company can do with modern tech. (In the original, there were several moments when reach exceeded grasp on what they tried to pull off with puppetry.) Am considering Dark Matter, The Travelers, and on Prime The Man in the High Castle or maybe Fleabag (even though I can't get a straight answer on what the latter's actually about), and a few others.

And I have been rewatching The Expanse, two or three eps a week (save last weekend, which was derailed by Family), figuring that'll bring me about up to the mid-December drop of Season 4. Dang, but I still love that show...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Space Channel has started showing reruns of Xena: Warrior Princess. I had forgotten how much I love that show.
No forensics, no fancy equipment, no negotiation or cunning plans, no good-looking male partner/love interest. Just Xena, hittin' people and making things better. Sometimes that's all I want: a role model doing stuff I can't. Like hitting annoying people and riding away from annoying situations, and getting away with it.
Apparently, there will be episodes all week. I will miss tomorrow's because our strata committee is going to have a very fraught meeting, speaking of people I can't hit and situations I can't ride away from.:rant:

Notice how much Karl Urban shows up? He really cheeses it up in some of the most amazing/bizarre guest appearances I've ever seen.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I really enjoyed Siempre Bruja! What do you think of it?

It's good! The writing, direction, videography, and music are solid. The plot keeps me guessing about the mysteries. I appreciate the feel of the show--how it's not too dark or fluffy--and the historical elements are blended fairly well with the modern drama. The show reminds me of Disney international science fantasies series I watched as a teen, except the main characters are older, with more adult concerns.

My husband and I watch TV series all. the. time.

We are always in the middle of a few. I'd forgotten to mention that we're caught up on Shera and the Princesses of Power (better than expected!), The Dragon Prince (eerier than expected), and all the Tales of Arcadia.

We would watch more of the adult, live-action Lucifer late at night if my child didn't inexplicably have dreams about the show even when the sound is muted.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
It's good! The writing, direction, videography, and music are solid. The plot keeps me guessing about the mysteries. I appreciate the feel of the show--how it's not too dark or fluffy--and the historical elements are blended fairly well with the modern drama. The show reminds me of Disney international science fantasies series I watched as a teen, except the main characters are older, with more adult concerns.

We are always in the middle of a few. I'd forgotten to mention that we're caught up on Shera and the Princesses of Power (better than expected!), The Dragon Prince (eerier than expected), and all the Tales of Arcadia.

We would watch more of the adult, live-action Lucifer late at night if my child didn't inexplicably have dreams about the show even when the sound is muted.

Ah, yes, Siempre Bruja is well put-together. Because of that, I forgave them for the mediocre use of special effects, lol.

Your last line is a little creepy. That is, if your child is not able to take a sneak peek of the show without you guys knowing it? I mean, that's strange!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
On Becoming A God in Central Florida

Set in the early 90's, after her husband dies Kirsten Dunst takes over his link in an MLM chain. Weirdly similar to Lodge 49, in that they both combine lots of social realism, satire, and a bit of metaphysics. And Dunst is AMAZING!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone see this Carnival Row (Amazon Prime video stream service) yet? Any comments?

I just heard of it today. Aug 30, 2019 released season one.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
On Amazon Prime: Young Sherlock.

Despite the name, it has nothing at all to do with Sherlock Holmes. It is a Chinese series about the adventures of young Judge Dee (not yet a judge) and his buddies as they go around in Tang China solving cases. (And occasionally getting mixed up in Court politics. As one does.)

Overall, very well done, and the mysteries are nicely convoluted. But... There's a cheesy masked arch-villain in an underground lair who seems oddly interested in Our Heroes' activities. I hope we're not building up to a Scooby Doo climax! ("I would have succeeded if it weren't for you meddling kids...") Though I have to admit there are some elements of Scooby Doo in the way they keep unmasking false ghosts and supernatural frauds. And since it's a Chinese drama I'm afraid There Will Be Tears at the end. I hope it won't be my favorites who die, or at least that they die heroically.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lodge 49 and On Becoming A God continue to be perfect shows.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Notice how much Karl Urban shows up? He really cheeses it up in some of the most amazing/bizarre guest appearances I've ever seen.
Not many guys get to play both Julius Caesar and Cupid in the same show. And the same, on 'Hercules', as well.

I got used to seeing the same the enemy warriors in various episodes. Those shows must have employed every muscular tough-guy in New Zealand, in one show or the other.

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
On Amazon Prime: Young Sherlock.
And since it's a Chinese drama I'm afraid There Will Be Tears at the end. I hope it won't be my favorites who die, or at least that they die heroically.

Yes, there were tears. Chinese dramas very often seem to fumble the conclusion, and this unfortunately was no exception. Though it leaves plenty of scope for the probably-not-going-to-happen sequel.

About halfway through, I finally recognized -- hey! it's that guy! -- the MC's buddy Wang is played by the actor who was the emperor in Secrets of the Three Kingdoms. Ma Tianyu. He's in a new thing on Viki, My Mowgli Boy, in which he plays a feral youth returning to the modern world. I believe the genre is rom-com. Could be fun.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
New Watchmen show? Actually good. Bites off a lot and there are plenty of opportunities for the show to mess up going forward, but so far I'm impressed. Regina King is excellent.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Prime has dropped a surprise! new episode of Just Add Magic, their delightful tween fantasy/cooking series. Now that the original trio have finished their story, the magical cookbook is moving on to a new team of Protectors. I hope this means we'll get a whole new series this winter!